Featured Swagger Stick with Inlayed Symbols ???

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Ranger Rick, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Well-Known Member

Time for another mystery item! It looks like some type of swagger stick to me? Length is 24 inches, inlayed symbols on all four sides and end caps appear to be silver. The wood is very heavy and stiff and appears to be quite old. The symbols confuse me?? Any thoughts? Swagger-1.jpg Swagger-2.jpg Swagger-3.jpg Swagger-4.jpg Swagger-5.jpg Swagger-6.jpg Swagger-7.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Aren't swagger sticks normally round or at least round-ish?

judy likes this.
  3. Ranger Rick

Not sure. I really have no idea what is is and can't identify the symbols??

judy likes this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

What I see is a student's work in a shop class. Started with a table leg and proceeded to practice metal cutting and attempted rudimentary inlaying by chiseling and then epoxying the metal pieces. I don't see 'symbols' at all.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I see a sun...& arrowheads.........but not well defined....

aaroncab, judy and wiscbirddog like this.
  6. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Looks like oak. Also looks as if it's been handled quite a bit. I think it's a "talking stick "for the "Order of the Arrow" or the "Order of the Thundering Bufflo". Just a wild guess!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Ranger Rick

Well, I don't think it was a "shop project", I do agree the inlay work is crude. I will chase the talking stick idea. I know I have seen these symbols before on some Item I have had??? The "X" shaped one for sure.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Antique mahogany stage magicians wand:muted::blackeye::pigeon:

9. Ranger Rick

"Order of the Arrow" Never knew about that one! Very Interesting. I cant find any refference to "Order of the Thundering Buffalo" (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/swagger-stick-with-inlayed-symbols.57341/) Several of the symbols do look like arrows with feathers? I have looked at talking sticks and all appear to be real sticks with Native American decorations. As for the Magic wand, interesting. I think it is a bit long for a wand, and have searched hundreds of photos of antique wands. but none appear to be square or have these symbols on them? I will keep searching on the symbols. (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/swagger-stick-with-inlayed-symbols.57341/)

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've seen canes like this that were either Boy Scout or summer camp projects

wiscbirddog likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted