Featured Swiss Candino women's gold plated watch. Info please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My mother wore this watch in the 70s and 80s, I don't know when she bought it.
    It is a Swiss Candino gold plated wind up watch, 17 jewels, with incabloc shock protection. It is in perfect working order and still has the original box.
    On the back it says: Stainless steel back, incabloc, 5612.
    I can't find any information on the Candino site, and haven't been able to find one anywhere else.
    Can anyone tell me more about it, the approximate production date, any information is appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC08115 (640x392).jpg DSC08116 (423x640).jpg DSC08114 (411x640).jpg DSC08111 (640x260).jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Thanks Deborah, I was thinking maybe she had it in the 60s, I just couldn't be sure. Just like I am not sure if it is gold or gold plated. There is no base metal or verdigris showing through anywhere, but I thought I'd err on the side of caution in my description. If I remember correctly it tests as 14k, but thick 14k gold plating will do that too. And I don't want to damage the watch.

kyratango likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no little marks on the clasp ????

5. Any Jewelry

No, nothing, so I suppose it is plated.

kyratango likes this.
  6. If it were solid gold it would have to hallmarked somewhere. That said, even gold plated in that condition with the original box it is a lovely item and very stylish.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Mid-range brand with CITIZEN (as I read on the internet) innards. Unlikely gold but agree -- stylish.

Debora

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had one of those given to me by my ex-mother-in-law. Long gone. I think it was 1971 or 72. The only nice thing she ever did for me and I always suspected she got it as a gift and regifted it to me.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I too now have something like this......although ....a little more upscale.....

My mothers .....
    IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2371.JPG IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2373.JPG

I can't get the marks clearer than that....

10. Any Jewelry

Thanks everyone for the input and info, a great help.

judy likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Certainly gold plated. An ephemeral mid range brand name that has a small practical value because it is reasonably easy to read, unlike the really tiny woman's watch type.
    The Tissot is a better watch and of course has a very useful gold scrap value.

The problem with women's watches is that men, the supporters of the old watch market, only buy men's watches.
    I don't think even women buy women's watches nowadays. Women's watches are a micro-aggression or some such fashionable bullcrap.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Yes that is the upside. But it doesn't have a seconds hand, of course women shouldn't worry their pretty little heads about seconds.:rolleyes:
    I very rarely wear a Zuni turquoise cluster watch (shows seconds:)) with Native American jewellery, but I haven't worn any other watch for over 20 yrs.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted