Synthetic? red stone in gold earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tyeldom3, Oct 25, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Earrings are 14K and marked with sort of a sideways infinity symbol. My question is the stones. They are really red, not darker like a ruby. I assume it is a synthetic or lab created stone, but what is it trying to imitate?
    Pics are a whole other problem. It's really hard to get the true color (for me, I am terribly camera challenged). The bottom pic, makes it look a bit more like ruby, but the shade is still not correct....sigh. Thanks for your time.
    DSCN3474.JPG DSCN3475.JPG DSCN3483.JPG

2. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Your bottom photo is very good! Yes, I would guess lab created ruby, with that clarity.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. tyeldom3

Thanks Susan and Messi! I guess I'm used to seeing the darker hues of ruby, lol. These are almost candy apple red. Somewhere closest to the first 2 pics. Yes,lab created it is, thanks so much!:kiss:

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My friend Gloria had a large wonderful cocktail ring that matched your earrings. Her granddaughter claimed it since she was born in July. It really was stunning.
    greg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

take them to a jeweler who can test them for hardness....there are other red stones they could be.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be guessing lab ruby, but they could be a red spinel.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

The bottom pic looks like pigeon blood. I had a PB ruby ring that color. I would get theem tested. ;)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. evelyb30

One thought - if those were rubies of the caliber they look, wouldn't the posts be threaded? Most post earrings with really good stones have screw thread backs. Makes them harder to lose. Tiffany does that for certain. I've even found a few pair of costume earrings with threaded backs.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. gregsglass

Hi,
    If they are real I do not think they would look as real as these do. These are just a fablous look.
    greg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. spirit-of-shiloh

If you have a loupe look to see if you can see any inclusions,like specks inside. Most rubies have at least one .

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. gregsglass

Hi,
    My jeweler always loupes the stone to see if the edges of the facets are sharp or sort of rounded. If the edges are really sharp it usually is real. Molded stones are rounded.
    greg

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

one would think the stones have some value to be placed in nice 14 k gold posts !

14. evelyb30

A lot of synthetic stones aren't cheap. Some synthetic opals are worth more than some natural ones, for instance.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. tyeldom3

I thank all of you so much for all your thoughts!:cat: I really appreciate it. About how much does it cost to get a stone tested? I'm also in the boat of thinking they would likely put a decent stone in a 14k setting, or it seems like they would? But I really don't know enough about jewelry.
    I have 3 loops in this house, and can't find any of them right now:confused:. As soon as I find one, I'll take a look.
    Thanks again everyone.

16. evelyb30

If you consign them to a fine jeweler that sells estate items, they'll likely test the stones for free. That's assuming you want to sell them.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  17. spirit-of-shiloh

Also pawn shops will test your stones,then if they are genuine you can change your mind about pawning them ;)

PS
    Thats how I have had my diamonds tested free. :D

tyeldom3 likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Gold hasn't always been as high as it is now, I have had gold pins sent with CZs and gold rings set with glass stones.

19. tyeldom3

Thanks again everyone for all your great help.
    I just got back from 2 places. The first was a jewelry store, and as soon as I handed the earrings to them, they said they only buy for the gold, which wouldn't be much. The 2nd was a pawn shop, and again, they said we only buy for gold, unless it's good diamonds or something, we don't buy for gemstones. She also said it could be a ruby, and if it is, it's a good one. She looked under a loop, and said she could see some tiny chips on the edges of the facets, that look like they were from the making process, and leads her to believe they are genuine rubies. ? Which again, I don't understand, but she was very nice, and if I ever need to pawn something, I will go back to her.
    I do want to sell them, but would really like to know what I'm selling, lol:cat:
    I guess I'll just hang onto them for now, until I can find someone to test them for me, and not charge me more than they're worth, to do so:joyful:

20. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

That's odd my jeweler buys gold and will always check stones with his gem tester....weather he's buying it or not
    They should not charge you anything for testing the stone, takes 2 seconds. Call around jewelry stores and ask if they have a stone tester most do
    Most rubies are enhanced

Draft saved Draft deleted