Synthetic? red stone in gold earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tyeldom3, Oct 25, 2014.

1. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Hey Tyeldom, does the mark on your earrings look anything like this?

The right side of my symbol doesn't quite look like the infinity symbol, the but left part does. Just curious if yours were made by the same maker. :)

DSCF7338.JPG

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Thanks sharona, there's another jewelry store here in town that is closed on Monday, so I will give them a try tomorrow. I didn't realize it was such a quick easy test! I thought I had to pay for an appraisal or something.Thanks for letting me know.
    Tie die cat, thank you, no the mark is different than that. This is the best pic I can get right now, sigh, it's such a tiny mark. Do you know who the maker is of yours?:cat:
    DSCN3522.JPG

4. tie.dye.cat

I can see your mark quite clearly.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out the maker of mine.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. tyeldom3

I hope you can find out who it is. Is it a vintage or modern piece?

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

Mine are vintage earrings, I think.

I've had them up on ebay for a couple of months and they haven't sold, so I am still hoping to find the maker to maybe increase their saleability. I've looked high and low for what the mark is on mine, but it's really hard to tell just what the mark is even supposed to be. :)

7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. tyeldom3

Mystery solved, jeez that really was easy. I took it to a different "hometown" jewelry store today, and they tested it, and it is synthetic :(, bummer, but at least now I know what it is. They were very nice. He also told me if they were real rubies, they would be about 10k, because of there size and color. He also said that rubies are not cut like these.
    Anyway thank you all for your tremendous kind help. Y'all are the best:cat:

9. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Mystery solved!
    Someone told me quite some time back that most stones these days were lab created and real rubies are rare in the scheme of modern jewelry

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  10. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Tyledom, I would be happy to test these for you if you'd like. I know you don't know me personally so I would understand if you declined, but I have tested numerous items for folks on the Jewelry Board. I would test the day they arrive and mail back the next day.
    Again, I would understand if you decline.
    BTW, that offer stands for Everyone here.

spirit-of-shiloh and tyeldom3 like this.
  11. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Oops, I see where you had them tested. The offer still stands in the future.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. tyeldom3

Oh my goodness Calico, bless your heart, that is so very kind of you.:cat: I would very much love to take you up on your offer, on some different pieces, if I could.
    Could you possibly test this necklace & earrings?, and I have another ring around here somewhere that I would like to send, if it's ok with you.
    These would not be for selling, I really love them, and only wear them on special occasions, but I have never known if they were real gemstones, or not.
    Thank you so much for offering.
    DSCN3555.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  13. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Of course ! These look like garnet, amethyst and possibly green garnets or peridot. My tester will only tell me if these are glass or gems, not if they are lab grown, but I would be happy to test anything you send.
    I'll message you.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I too would say those are all semi precious gem stones...

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Calico, what brand and model of gem tester do you have? Would you recommend it? I've thought on and off about getting one. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the money, since I don't sell jewelry. But, just out of curiosity I'd like to know about some of my own (and have gathered quite a bit).

tyeldom3 likes this.
  16. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Fig, I have the Presidium duo tester for both semi precious and diamond testing. It was definitely worth the money to me, but then again, I sell jewelry and need to be accurate in my descriptions. It has paid for itself over the past few years and things I were certain were glass turned out to be gems and vice versa.

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  17. Figtree3

Thank you! I'll look into it.

18. Figtree3

I just decided to order the Presidium Duo tester through a vendor on Amazon. I found out I could apply rewards points from my credit card, so ended up paying a lot less than the list price for the tester. I had been forgetting to use those points!

Calico, thanks for letting me know which one you use.

tyeldom3 and kentworld like this.
  19. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

You're welcome Fig. It's fun when you first get it, you test EVERYTHING, even my cat was hiding under the bed. Then your family and friends bring their jools over and you test for them. Ah...my idea of fun.:)

20. Figtree3

Calico - Well, I don't have a cat. But if I did... :blackalien:

kyratango and tyeldom3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted