Table/Desk(?) help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by christopher saradin, Jun 10, 2018.

1. christopher saradin

christopher saradin New Member

Hello everyone. I am very new to antiquing and have recently purchased a piece that I am not sure what to do with. Can anyone give me a little info, please? Was originally going to renovate, but am now thinking it would be better to leave as-is. Thank you in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Christopher welcome to the forum.
    Need to ask you a question.
    If a stranger came up to you and handed you those two photos and you had never seen them before, would you know what you where looking at???
    We would love to help but have almost nothing to go on. Better pictures showing it in its entirety and if possible the right way up. Photos of underneath are also quite useful as is data on size and weight.
    Cheers
    Stephen
    P.S. the furniture experts will be along soon.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Christopher.
    Yes, I would welcome more pictures too. Right now it looks like I am looking at a stool floating mid air in front of things that look like kitchen appliances in a car. Since you describe it as a desk, that can't be the case.
    I was very impressed that you could get furniture to levitate, though.;)

4. christopher saradin

Yes, I know, you are right. I will unpack it soon.

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Christopher! Welcome to Antiquers.

It looks to be a kitchen table with an enameled top.

I think they were popular in the 40's and 50's as my parents had one. Only theirs had a chrome base and blue top I believe.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with Judy about it being a porcelain topped table. It looks like late 1950s.
    I have one in my kitchen which gets used many times a day.
    greg

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree 40s-50s kitchen table

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. christopher saradin

Thank you to everyone that responded. I have attached a few more pics, but had to crop them down to make them fit. From what I've read, it appears to be a mid century table. My questions would be: should I refinish the wood or leave it as is? And I got what I believe to be a great deal on it with the intention of re selling. Can anyone give me a ball park of what it may be worth? Thank you.

Attached Files:

10. christopher saradin

Also, it measures 42" x 31"

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Value will be different in different locales. They used to be quite popular here in (I'm 10 miles N of Boston, Ma), but I honestly don't know what they sell for around here now.

Put a price on it that you would be happy getting for it. Condition means a lot.....keep it in mind.

Also search tables like yours for different table top colors, patterns, etc. Some can be quite nice.

I prefer the table as it is. I would clean the wood and give it a good oiling.

There appears to be a little damage to the top, and I don't know of a solution for that. Better to leave as it is, then do a terrible job of trying to fix it! (IMMHO).

Let whoever buys it from you choose to paint the base, or do whatever.

I've stripped a lot of antiques that someone else decided to paint......

If you want it to look new, buy new.

Others will have other opinions and they may be more of what you want to hear!!:cat:

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I would leave as-is. That damage on the top kills most of the value so not worth putting any more into it.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted