Table with 1600s Cartography. Who made this?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Gentrificationishot, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Gentrificationishot

Gentrificationishot New Member

Recently picked up this table. It's in rough condition, obviously, yet it still intrigues me. The signature and text at the bottom reads "Antonio Sanches afes-anno 1641". I haven't found any information on this guy on the internet, with one exception - a mention of his name in a book listing works known by the Library of Congress. That's it. I can't find an image of this map, either. Any help or guidance as to where I should search would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like a repro item decoupaged to the table. At least that's what little I can see in these less than sufficient pictures. Also appears to have been cut out of a larger map so it would fit the space?

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

You could take a picture of the piece in its entirety and tell us the dimensions?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can we see a close up of the "signature and text" you referred to above?

Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
  5. Gentrificationishot

Apologies for the lack of quality photos. Be patient with me. I'll send anything that is asked of me.
    Some general details.
    The dimensions of the table are 120cm by 120cm. It is approximately 79cm tall. The table appears to be made out of wood, inside and all, with the exception of the surface where the map is. Chips in the surface indicate that. I've included a photo of one of these chips. Perhaps it will give some insight as to what the mapped area is actually composed of.
    I've posted a side view of the table. The legs and sides look the same on every side. I also included a close-up of one of the legs. It simply shows the worn paint that is layered on most of the table.
    Additionally, there's a photo of one of the corners from a bird's-eye view. It may give some insight about whether the map was cut from something larger. There's a noticeable crack (not caused by damage) that borders the whole map, as if it were inserted into the table.
    Included is a close-up of the signature. Well, I now realize that it is perhaps not even a signature as much as it is a printing of Sanches's name. That was my bad.
    Lastly, I looked up Sanches's name again. I realized that the mention I had found earlier briefly describes a map of his depicting the Pacific. So now I can safely say that I have found absolutely no information on this specific map, but I know that there is at least one other map of his that is known to exist.
    Again, thank all of you.

Attached Files:

6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Antique maps are almost always taken from books. I assume that is the case with the one you show, in which case yours is too large to be an original printing. Let alone that the table is much newer than 400 years and no one in their right mind would glue such an old map to the top of a table (where it would very soon be destroyed). Or that you haven't considered whether yours is made of a material (laid paper or parchment) that would have been available then. Plus there are large differences (e.g. the ship drawing) with the original copy linked to below. If you aren't convinced, measure it, decide what it is printed on, and do further research. There is a copy at the National Library of the Netherlands so you can start there if you can't find a copy at an antique map dealer: https://fiodahistoriatextos.blogspot.com/2017/02/portuguese-discoveries-cartography.html

Here is an original of the map from that link.
    [​IMG]

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I have nearly that same table in my living room, but I refinished it when I was in my twenties. Mine was the same green color that looks to be beneath your white paint job. Yours has a decoupage that could cover up table top damages.

The flat wood boards in my table top CRACKED APART (about an 1/8th of an inch!) when it got too hot in my home during Hurricane Katrina. Please look beneath your table for any possible crack damages to the top that he previous owner could conceal.

I was disappointed that this happened, but am currently using the same table again. It's a very useful size.

8. Gentrificationishot

Ah, thank you very much! I didn't think it was an old table or worth anything, I was just curious as to its origins. Not everyday I can't find any information on something from a Google search.

9. antidiem

It is ME who is curious as to how your table top has held up! ;)

10. Gentrificationishot

It has not held up well! It has definitely seen the ravages of weather and time. Its also got a massive crack running along the top. Plan on refinishing this, now!

11. antidiem

I refinished mine in the mid-1980s but the crack didn't appear until after it had been in the heat of the summer for a few months. It bummed me out so much, I didn't use it at all for a few years! Then we moved and I tossed it into the van to keep.!

I had a feeling you would find yours had a massive crack too! Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted