Featured Taking paint off mahogany? Or leave it alone?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by BMRT, Jul 28, 2019.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

18347C34-BFD9-488A-AE4D-144773BD6EBD.jpeg Howdy furniture folks,

Could anyone give advice on the best way to take paint off of mahogany or in this situation if it’s best to leave it be?

I bought these two lamp tables today. So far I’ve found they are made by Victorian of Montgomery Alabama and are dating around 1930’s-1940’s. The tops are Italian marble. I think the paint may be original after all because it’s flecked meticulously with gold and in parts of the label that’s coming up I can see the paint peeking up from under it. Is it worth trying to strip it down? I’m also considering if putting a coat of clear varnish over the label is a good idea. I touched a corner of one of the labels and it started disintegrating!

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. 1F496E85-315F-4CE4-8302-58712A3B808B.jpeg D465F4B2-E262-4C3A-8BED-40C04EA18DAE.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

these guys are adorable......leave them be.

3. BMRT

I’m leaning towards keeping them as is. Maybe a protective coat of something to save the paint? They are chipping under the sliding marble tops.:bucktooth:

judy, kyratango and i need help like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    A good paste wax will help protect the paint/stain.
    greg

judy, Michael77 and i need help like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Take it off, take it ALL OFF! :joyful:
    Don't listen to the fuddy duddys in here, mostly ebay junk dealers anyway! :hilarious:
    Label says "solid mahogany" so if correct, no issues with veneer. Contrast with marble top would look great with refinished mahogany.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Where is the label positioned? As you say though it was put on after being painted so painted must be as they were meant to be.
    Are there any bits actually exposed as it says all exposed bits are solid mahogany?

James Conrad likes this.
  7. James Conrad

8. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

Why oh why would any one ever paint mahogany???:bigtears:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. BMRT

Label is confusing. What bits constitute as “exposed”? The label is under the marble slab, in a small hollow area.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. BMRT

This company in Alabama who made these, apparently lol. I thought a dark wood would look very fetching but I admit the cream/gold paint does compliment the tops.

James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... I do think the paint is original. Those Victorian reproduction accent tables were, to the best of my knowledge, produced in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Think yours may be a bit later and designed to respond to changing tastes, hence the pickling and colored marble. Paint + marble do work well together. If you strip, table will fall apart visually. That said, question of (personal) taste. They aren't hugely valuable. Enjoy.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-pair-victorian-furniture-co-1844542027

Debora

vintage-pair-victorian-furniture-co_1_5f82ebdbecd06c34ab6141ab5210f9fe.jpg

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fyi, the marble tops are meant to sit on top of base. They are not affixed. Requires a bit more care in moving but lovely (secret) space underneath.

Debora

BMRT and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. BMRT

Yes, I liked them for that feature specifically.

14. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

round_marble_top_peranakan_table_1467713710_f64bb2c4.jpg
    typical marble table in the straits chinese/peranakan home. victorian in origin is what i learnt here. tq! :):)

James Conrad likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The mahogany maybe mismatched as to color or such so it was painted to blend them all together. I found years ago a painted mahogany desk which i stripped. After I was done I found out it was blonde mahogany and non of the pieces matched:eek: I ended up painting it again and got rid of it asap.
    greg

Fid, KikoBlueEyes, Michael77 and 3 others like this.
  16. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I think it's risky stripping old pieces, you never know what the paint is hiding as I've discovered more than once........
    I think they're lovely as they are and as others have said just protect the existing finish.

i need help and BMRT like this.
  17. James Conrad

That's why they invented stain.

True, ya never know, live a little, take some risks! Nothing ventured, Nothing gained!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Fid, James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1936 was the year the Mahogany Association began using the labels. The group was disbanded in 1969.

Debora

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An internet search will bring up other examples of furniture with marble marked "MDC Made in Italy." They all appear to be post-World War II.

Debora

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted