Takito cup & saucer and mystery creamer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have these three pieces... a saucer that has the Takito mark and a teacup and creamer that are unmarked.

I assume the teacup and saucer truly do go together? But I think the creamer just has similar coloring? Any thoughts on its origin?

Also, am I correct in thinking the cup and saucer are moriage? The pieces aren't in front of me, but if I remember correctly, the little white dots are raised.

Apologies for the so so photos... I took them with my phone in my basement which isn't well lit.

Takito-cup&saucer01.jpg Takito-cup&saucer02.jpg Takito-cup&saucer03.jpg Takito-cup&saucer04.jpg Takito-creamer01.jpg Takito-creamer02.jpg Takito-creamer03.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Not moriage, just enamel dots. Moriage is like cake icing.
    It has been a while since I looked but I think your double T in diamonds mark can be identified.
    Patd

judy likes this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Patd. From what I've seen online, the double "T" is the Takito mark.

The reason I wondered about moriage is a Collectors Weekly article I found said Takito mostly produced lusterware but also did moriage pieces.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/90917-the-takito-company-moriage-vase-nippon

judy and patd8643 like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I'm sure that guy is an expert on something, but there's no moriage on that vase.
    Just saying.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree... there isn't moriage on the creamer (it's much smaller than a vase).

It's the teacup and saucer that has raised decoration. I looked at it more closely, and the green and aqua ribbons are raised and then the little dots raised even more.

6. janetpjohn

Yours is still all raised enamel. Look at some real moriage and see how thick it is.

Pat P likes this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, I know that most of what's called moriage is much thicker and I have a few pieces with the typical applied gold decoration.

When I looked at definitions of moriage, they don't seem to specify a minumum amount of thickness, though?

8. janetpjohn

It's more that enamel is paint and moriage is slip that's piped on, like when you use a round cake decorating tip. I think. Two different materials.

Figtree3, patd8643 and Pat P like this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

On the one hand, from what I read today, it sounded like moriage can also be hand-applied, and the ribbons on the plate and cup looked like that could be the case. I worked with clay years ago, and remember rolling out very thin pieces to apply to a larger item, so I thought that might be a possibility here.

But I just looked at my photos with extreme blowups and it *does* look like paint and not applied slip.

Sorry if I sounded stubborn earlier... just trying to learn what's what. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Pat P
    I think janet was referring to the vase in the article. That is not moriage.

As others have pointed out, the dots on your cup and saucer are enamel paint.
    Enamel paint is glossy. Moriage is clay slip, it can be colored, but it is not glossy like enamel.

upload_2019-2-10_23-39-10.png

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Pat, ah, gotcha on the vase in the article. :)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. janetpjohn

You didn't sound stubborn. I was trying to explain something about which I know very little, so--thanks to cluttered for the great picture. I also didn't want anyone to believe the vase in the link is moriage. My goodness, he went on and on about it, and most people tend to believe what they read.

Pat P and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  13. janetpjohn

O.K., I did it. I registered on the site and put a comment on his 6 year old article. I have no self control; heading for the Valentine's candy I opened 5 days early.

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Oh, good... I'm glad I didn't sound stubborn. :)

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted