Featured Tall Glass Scent Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jul 18, 2023.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This was in a huge mixed lot at auction yesterday. Some of the lot was very very good and other items were rubbish. I know very little about glass so before consigning to the charity shop I thought I’d ask here as I can’t find another online.

This scent bottle is 21 cm tall and tapers from peach to yellow. It has a green stopper. Sadly the stem of the stopper has been snapped and simply sellotaped together.

Charity shop or one to sell?
    IMG_1094.jpeg IMG_1093.jpeg IMG_1095.jpeg IMG_1096.jpeg IMG_1097.jpeg IMG_1098.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sell, definitely. Someone can grind the end of the dauber. That’s lovely quality and colours. A bit peachblow.

3. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

That dauber was made to be snapped. It's very pretty. I expect they had a thriving trade in replacements.

4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Gorgeous bottle! But looks a tad dangerous. As in, "Oops! There goes the Jugular!"

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's quite beautiful! I'm in the "sell" camp, but would want to know the maker first. Hopefully someone here will have a lead.

Lol, Brian. Agree that the dauber was a liability.

johnnycb09 and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think I may have come across one on Catawiki, but no idea when or how much it sold for, so no help at all.:(

@bercrystal ?:)

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I don't have any real clues, but I am in the it will sell group.

The colors are pretty & will certainly appeal to someone.

It sort of reminds me of the Egyptian type art glass bottles but I have never seen one done in this type of glass.

Could be a talented glass blower & since it isn't signed you may never know who.

As our beloved afantiques would have said it was made by "2 blokes in a shed". ;):D:D :hilarious:

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

colours are delicious ............!!!!!

if u give it away....give it here !!!;)

9. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

I agree - it looks like contemporary Egyptian - or Turkish or even Israel to me...

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I come across those beautiful Egyptian bottles every day. (I browse through perfume bottle listings to look for kohl bottles.) They are more based on the Syrian/Middle Eastern glass tradition than on modern art glass. The colours are more subdued, and usually together with clear glass and gilding.
    Israeli bottles are also more Middle Eastern in look.

The colours on this beauty look very Italian (post-modern?) to me.

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s not thin enough for Egyptian or Israeli, either. Italian is a definite possibility.

John Brassey likes this.
  12. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I'm listing it tomorrow. Thank you all for your comments and help

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted