Featured Tamarack stonecraft - how repair

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by LIbraryLady, Sep 5, 2017.

1. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

This "Tamarack stonecraft" bear has more damage than I'd noticed. I'm not sure if it is soapstone or some man-made amalgam of stone and resin. I'm looking for ideas on how to improve its appearance, so all ideas what it is made of, and/or how to color/fill the scratches will be appreciated.
    TIA IMG_0772.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0771.JPG

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

LibraryLady, I believe it's soapstone. (I'm sure others will stop by to confirm or advise...)

If it IS soapstone, you should be able to smooth out any scratches with sandpaper, then darken/polish up the affected area with mineral oil.

If you check Google for how to repair/refinish a soapstone countertop, it should be similar, but on a smaller scale.

Oh - and your little "critter" is adorable!

3. LIbraryLady

@SBSVC - I had not realized that soapstone could really be so colorful until I googled, as you suggested. Thank you for your ideas. The bear enjoyed the compliment.

judy, Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-9-5_20-42-9.jpeg

I don't believe this is hand made or stone of any kind........
    Stonecraft.....doesn't mean STONE !

5. LIbraryLady

Hmm...
    Curiouser and curiouser.

Thank you, @komokwa

kyratango, SBSVC and komokwa like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous bear.
    I think stonecraft produces objects made of crushed stone mixed with some kind of resin, just like Boma.

kyratango, SBSVC and judy like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow. Good old resin, eh?

Did Tamarack Stonecraft not (at least at one time) produce real carved soapstone? There seem to be a lot of pieces online referred to as soapstone & sold for decent prices (???)

judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

Ahhh...time to unpack the old saying......don't believe everything you read !
    ( cept from me , of course..! ) ..:playful::playful::playful::playful:

It's like the labels that read " hand finished ".....& folks who list those as " handmade " !

9. komokwa

& those decent prices.......deceptive listings will foster those quicker than Brad & Angie !!!

Any Jewelry and SBSVC like this.
  10. LIbraryLady

I think my little friend may not be real soapstone. Still a cutie, tho. I'm going to pick up some mineral oil to see if that will help mend his wounds a tad, and just enjoy him.

Thanks to all.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is, absolutely. It brought a smile to my face when I saw it, that's priceless.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted