Featured Tapestry? Nope, Embroidery

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by mmarco102, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

This area, I think? If I’m following.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and mmarco102 like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's the section I described in #16. We are all on the same page.

But why the distant view makes that section look uniformly black and the closeup view makes it look much lighter in color is in question.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

5. i need help

Not sure about coloration, but I’m finding embroidered prayer mats and shawls.

judy likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

A painted design might explain what we are seeing dimly. The paint may have been thick enough to fill the gaps between the canvas threads, and so looks like there is something there in the areas where there is no yarn. Just an unfinished piece, as suspected by members earlier.

judy likes this.
  7. Jivvy

I dunno. The last pic @mmarco102 posted makes no sense to me. :bored:

But I'm really not a needlepoint person, so maybe one will come along and explain it all. :confused:

judy likes this.
  8. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Well you all gave me a lot to think about, thanks ;)

Last night when I got in I took a real quick look. Now I took in everyones comments and checked it out with a loupe, and I am shocked. Tapestry???????

There are absolutely no unfinished areas like I thought after looking at my photos. This is completely finished with approx 5 or more thickness threads including gilted color.

Here is the same flower with zoom in photos.

D50DCDAC-93B1-4761-945A-37640FE675FA.jpeg DF28598F-1D7B-464B-A5A3-7A9240DF0057.jpeg 6245DC05-ACA1-465D-9B2C-44E2A7EC1064.jpeg

Here is the side area that looked unfinished, zoomed

BDA9B425-7811-4143-BEC2-48D616AB1C37.jpeg D1358BB6-C83B-4B64-82E4-215C55752BF8.jpeg

The the bottom is completely finished everywhere.

My God who would give this away...

So Ottoman, Mughal Inspired?

I can’t stop looking at it with the loupe, everywhere is differnt weaving.

Leave plastic, cover, glass or open air. What is the professional preference.

Additionally, the back is completely sealed brown paper. No images from there.

9. mmarco102

Any other area I will post image of close up, just ask .....

C6445313-526B-4FF7-A771-9D15BB135B50.jpeg 34741FCE-F598-4901-91CD-2F93958ABD55.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  10. Bakersgma

So, now you understand that this is not "needlepoint" and not handwoven, but machine-made, right? It is lovely, though.

Leaving the fabric exposed to the air is not ideal (if I understand the question you asked above.)

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 3 others like this.
  11. 2manybooks

Wow. That is completely different than we thought, and unexpected. I am not sure how to describe the technique used in the flat areas (what we thought was unfinished canvas). The weaver is carrying/floating multiple threads behind the ground weave, pulling them up when wanted. The improved close-ups also seem to show that the red is tufted/pile. Back to the books for awhile on this one.

Figtree3, judy and mmarco102 like this.
  12. mmarco102

Thank you @Bakersgma, can you please elaborate how this explains it is done by machine? Excuse my ignorance please :writer:

@2manybooks

9C7A2E1B-7EF9-465C-9A10-73CC13940E3E.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    judy likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

I believe from the complexity of the design and uniformity of the weaving that this was done on a modern, computer-controlled Jacquard loom.

14. Jivvy

I feel a lot less crazy now. Yes, woven, not needlepoint.

temp03.jpg

15. mmarco102

@Bakersgma, got it. Did some D&D and a hand made would never show the vertical lines. The weave completely covers them as in this....

C2B366FF-85DA-4DBD-ACEA-93B1C2387F33.jpeg

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Thanks, I needed that...:happy:

Figtree3, judy and Jivvy like this.
  16. 2manybooks

I think this may be what is called a "voided velvet". It is a complex technique, created on a drawloom which allows the creation of elaborate designs by controlling individual threads or small groups of threads on the loom. The drawloom was in use in China by the first century AD. The technology was later transferred to Persia and the Middle East, then Europe. It required at least 2 operators - a weaver inserting the weft threads, and a "draw boy" who sat on a platform above the loom and who pulled up sets of warp threads as the weaver called out the pattern.

The red tufts are cut velvet - loops drawn up during the weaving, which are subsequently cut to create the pile effect. The flat areas (the "voids") are characteristic of drawloom work, with an intricate pattern incorporated into a base weave, with floats carried on the back of the cloth when a color is not needed. Complex brocades, satins, and other patterned fabrics were being created with hand operated drawlooms long before mechanization or computer controlled looms. Your textile is perfectly consistent with historical drawloom fabrics.

A semi-mechanized version was invented in France by Joseph Marie Jacquard in 1804. He substituted a series of punched cards and a pin mechanism, which replaced the draw boy.

While the colors and basic format seem derived from Ottoman or Mughal work, it seems to me to be more a European adaptation. Perhaps Italian.

17. i need help

mmarco102 and judy like this.
  18. 2manybooks

The surface of a textile can be "weft faced", meaning the horizontal threads cover the vertical warp, as in tapestry. It can be "warp faced", meaning the vertical warp is most visible. Or it can be even, where warp and weft are equally visible. it has to do with how closely the warp is spaced on the loom and how tightly the weft is packed during weaving. All three effects can be created in both hand weaving and machine weaving.

all_fakes, mmarco102 and judy like this.
  19. 2manybooks

An example of pre-machine complexity:
    [​IMG]
    Textile fragment, possibly from a jacket, Safavid dynasty (1501-1736), Iran, mid-16th century. Silk, metal-wrapped silk; voided and brocaded velvet. The Textile Museum 3.219.
    https://museum.gwu.edu/safavid-fragment

Figtree3, mmarco102 and judy like this.
  20. 2manybooks

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted