Featured Tapestry? Nope, Embroidery

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by mmarco102, Sep 15, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Wow, @2manybooks you’re giving me a ton to look at, thanks you.

Everyone out here has been a blast to learn from. I feel I am back in school only this time I dont want to cut any classes. I lurk in every thread and love it.

Pat P, Figtree3, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

These folks might be able to identify your textile:
    info@fondazionelisio.org
    https://www.fondazionelisio.org/en/who-we-are/history/

They are a company founded in 1906 in Florence, dedicated to reviving and preserving historical textile techniques. "Today, Fondazione Arte della Seta Lisio continues to manufacture priceless silk velvets and brocades just as he did, always by hand, on the same ancient Jacquard looms, and always with the same aim: to keep the art of weaving precious fabrics alive."

Perhaps you could send them some photos (including your good close-ups). And let us know what they say. :)

http://www.florenceisyou.com/2017/03/the-lisio-foundation/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    mmarco102, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Right from the start I had a Turkish restaurant feel about this tapestry.
    I don't mean that disrespectful, Marco, the Turkish restaurants in my town have interiors ranging from 1001 Nights to very modern. Most of them have at least one Turkish tapestry with lavish floral designs. And rather martial scenes, but I prefer floral.
    So I did think it was a tapestry, not embroidery, but I couldn't find anything to match it. I think an Ottoman link wouldn't be far off.

mmarco102 and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, 2many. Although I think they specialize in Florentine silk velvets etc, which are different from this tapestry.

It takes me back to when I was in Florence looking for info on Florentine silk velvets, this was in the mid-80s, pre-internet.
    I couldn't find anything, so I asked at my favourite Florentine museum, the Bargello, if they had an exhibit that I had missed. A very kind lady took me through a labyrinth of corridors to a store room filled with antique sample books and boxes of velvets.
    It was like landing in velvet heaven, and I felt priviliged and bit embarassed at the same time.
    I had already been so happy because I finally got to see one of the oldest European fans, the 9th century Flabellum of Tournus, which they have on display there. A perfect day.:happy:

5. mmarco102

@2manybooks, I will reach out to them, as their knowledge must extend beyond their area of expertise. Hopefully they will respond and I will post here any responce I receive.

@Any Jewelry, you could hit me with a bag of nickles for no apparent reason, and I wouldn’t take it as being disrespectful. I would back trace my steps to find out what is was I did to deserve it :) You have always been so helpful, for me and to us all.

Turkish seems very plausible, the first images here is Turkish with similar floral designs(sorry for inproper cropping) the second and third with a similar layout. I think the style extended into southwestern asia as well.

435993E1-FCAD-4DF7-9688-28856B118CBC.jpeg 47FF2E57-21B6-4B38-8076-21B2161F7417.jpeg BDFD2D58-A1BB-4526-9655-995246AA4214.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. Any Jewelry

Thank you very much, Marco.
    The bag of nickels sounded so funny I was tempted for a split second.:hilarious: Only a split second though.:D

mmarco102, judy and i need help like this.
  7. mmarco102

On a final note, here is the best picture I am able to take with out to much reflection(on floor).
    Thanks all.

DE831A99-1626-45C3-BB0B-C0842BD48309.jpeg

PS, @Any Jewelry, thank God for split seconds... ;)

judy, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious:
    They have saved me many a time from doing something intensely stupid.:D

mmarco102 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted