Featured Taupou or others: Navajo Items for Identification, please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moontymes, Jul 12, 2019.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I purchased this shadow box at an estate sale recently. The items are loosely pinned to a fabric board. I haven't opened the box, so please excuse the glare in the photos. The couple who previously owned the items had a house in New Mexico, so I am assuming that these items are all Navajo. When I tipped the box I could see the undersides of the items, which looks to have some age to them. The moccasins are self-explanatory but I have no idea what the other items are.One looks like some kind of purse or pouch made of a Navajo blanket with a silver medallion embossed with the "whirling log" motif, and then there is a pair of beaded textiles. I'm trying to figure out what the purse/pouch is called and what is what used for, and what the other pair of beaded items were used for. Thanks so much for any help. n1.jpg n2.jpg n4.jpg n5.jpg n7.jpg n1.jpg n2.jpg n4.jpg n5.jpg n7.jpg n1.jpg n2.jpg n4.jpg n5.jpg n7.jpg n7.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the Mocs are most likely Sioux circa 1900....
    the beaded panels..... likely Plains Indian...& could have come from a coat...leggings....something wearable.
    the weaving reminds me of a Chimayo clutch purse....but the weave does look like it's Navajo made.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi Moon, great to see you posting:) I'm no help with your great items, sorry.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think @komokwa is right on all counts - Sioux moccasins, the beaded panels may be from cuffs (Plains), and the purse is Chimayo.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.icollector.com/2-Chimayo-Handwoven-Wool-Clutch-Purses_i16274260

Jivvy, Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  5. moontymes

Thanks to all of you, komokwa, I really appreciate the help, and also you, 2manybooks! Cuff seem very likely, and the chimayo was spot on. Thank you :)
    cxgirl, good to see you too! :)

I went back to the same sale again today, everything was 50% off. I know even less about this item than the others, but it was also in a museum-type plexiglass case. I think this one might be South American. Is it Peruvian? purse1.jpg purse2.jpg purse3.jpg

kyratango, 2manybooks and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

7. moontymes

Hey, what's with the eek symbol komokwa? I think it's far from ugly.

komokwa likes this.
  8. komokwa

no no...the eeek was for I couldn't even guess at it's origin or age....
    it's very pretty..........

kyratango likes this.
  9. komokwa

it's the YUK icon u should focus on !!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

but again...it's got nothing to do with what it looks like and all to do with my inability to help....on a thread that I'm already 3 for 3 !!!!;) :playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

kyratango likes this.
  10. moontymes

Gotcha, komokwa :) 3 for 3 is awesome. Thanks again for your help.

judy, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  11. komokwa

Remember , not everything in a shadow box is of value.....sometimes it's just pretty for show !!
    BUT....
    that beadwork is worth good money....if you're going to sell.....bust the box...clean the mocs and stuff em with soft paper towel...

judy likes this.
  12. komokwa

I once got 35 bucks for a Chimayo clutch...not as nice as yours..

judy likes this.
  13. moontymes

Yeah, but I do pay attention when I see an item displayed in this manner...I figure it's a 50-50 chance it's worth something. Thanks for the tip about the mocs! Will do! :)

komokwa likes this.
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The Peruvians (and Mexicans) do like pom poms. The ribbon-like handle looks like it is decorated with machine stitching. But the cordage used for the bag is quite different. It looks like hand stitched rolls of fabric. Unusual.

judy and Jivvy like this.
  15. komokwa

the beads are attached one row at a time and not individually stitched down , so be very tender with them as they'll move around a bit....

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted