Featured Tea Caddy Help One British One ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, Jun 19, 2022.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Guess it is tea caddy day for me, 2 wood and one silver (in silver forum). Any information on them is appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    #1 is 11 3/4"L x 5 3/4"H x 5 3/4"D. Is this mahogany? I don't believe the little mother of pearl piece in the lock part is original, it doesn't fit flush. Some warping to the lids of the inner boxes, inside the boxes the silver stuff is almost all gone. How old would this be? I believe it is British.
    Imports - 1 of 5.jpeg Imports - 2 of 5.jpeg Imports - 1 of 4.jpeg Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg Imports - 2 of 4.jpeg Imports - 3 of 4.jpeg Imports - 3 of 5.jpeg Imports - 5 of 5.jpeg Imports - 4 of 5.jpeg Imports - 1 of 2.jpeg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

#2 is 4 5/9"H, the little scoop is 3"L. Maybe Japanese? No idea on the type of wood, maybe a veneer or bark on the outside?
    Imports - 1 of 2.jpeg Imports - 2 of 2.jpeg Imports - 1 of 5.jpeg Imports - 2 of 5.jpeg Imports - 3 of 5.jpeg Imports - 4 of 5.jpeg Imports - 5 of 5.jpeg

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Cherry bark. Very nice! Thanks...

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wonderful, thank-you wlwhittier:)

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Tea caddy sure looks English, c1820's it is in what's called flame mahogany, using the figuring to make the pattern. Escutcheons are not always flush, but that does look like a replacement. The mixing bowl looks later too, not that it makes much difference as originals are not common.

Cherry bark cannister is lovely, much more recent of course.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've an almost identical caddy which belonged to my parents. Lovelt Georgian thing, that. Silver stuff is zinc. Generally, the earlier the box, the smaller the tea compartments, related to cost. I've got the original mixing bowl but it's in two halves, so I use a replacement one.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love the wood on both of them. And yes, it is tea caddy day!:singing:
    Could be, I have a similar model Japanese tea caddy.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you for the great information Ce BCA:) I had no idea it would be that old.

thanks bear:) I agree, they are lovely things (I'm fond of wood boxes)

thanks AJ:) I love the wood on both too

Draft saved Draft deleted