Tell me about 750 stamp on silver please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Apr 30, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is there a country that uses 750 as a silver fineness mark?. This bracelet is quite roughly cast and stamped CH750. Is the CH for plate?. I've only come across 750 as a gold fineness and this tests as silver but haven't filed it. Just intrigued!. Doesn't look to have been gold plated unless white gold over silver but wouldn't it have a silver mark too?:confused:
    Not magnetic.
    Thanks for looking
    IMG_5825.JPG IMG_5826.JPG IMG_5827.JPG IMG_5829.JPG

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Just having a look around online as there is reference to CH as meaning Chapa which means plated in Spanish. Maybe 750 white gold plated? I am only guessing though, I’m positive someone here will know better.

KikoBlueEyes and KSW like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

K, do you have a photo of the mark?
    And you won't, will you?:nailbiting:

.750 silver was used in some European countries, mostly Central European and some southern ones as well.
    This looks like it could be German or Austrian, where .750 used to be marked as 12 lot. The fineness was used for some time after they introduced millesimal marking. So items could be marked .750, although that is rare.

CH is the Swiss country abbreviation, but I don't think it was used for silver.:confused:
    Houseful, do you remember the link? I only know plateado as Spanish word for silver plated, dorado if it is gold plated.

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Houseful

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Not a chance!. You have educated me far too well for me to let you down like that :angelic:. Nothing makes me crosser than a beautiful piece of jewellery that some oik has filed a hole in. Well that and a dirty great acid mark on the front of what is so obviously costume :mad:. The only things I have ever filed is pure scrap that's no use for anything but melting.
    Does the clasp date it at all?

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

The box clasp has been around for a very long time, but I can't find info on when those safety latches were introduced. I have it somewhere. I think 19th century sometime, which is a long period.:( Maybe someone can pinpoint it.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Houseful

It is confusing. I don’t know of the veracity of this site but I threw it out there. The bracelet looks too chunky and poorly cast to me to be gold on silver but I’ve been wrong before.:(

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

My bad. I've just taken some photos of the stamp and I now think it says CM750......sorry:oops:.
    However I'm not sure how much that helps as google tells me it's a Kenwood coffee machine. I have learned about Chapa and Dorado etc so all is not lost!
    IMG_5831.JPG IMG_5832.JPG

Fid, KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

There's your answer then. One more riddle solved.:D

KSW, Xristina, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious:

I cannot add to this riddle, but I do think it's gorgeous.
    Do the stones look like jade?
    For unknown reasons, I think this is from Europe and may be from western Europe, but I could be wrong. ;)

AJ, Houseful, thank you for the info. :joyful:

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. antidiem

That is what I think too!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Think glass or enamel?

14. antidiem

Jadite?

15. antidiem

Well darn, I want them to be STONES!!! in such a substantial setting! ;)

KSW likes this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'll test them and see :)

antidiem likes this.
  17. antidiem

the flashlight test? ;)

KSW likes this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What flashlight test? uv? Or is there a test for Jade?:bookworm:

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just to be dumb, but ... have you scratch tested that thing for gold yet? Some South American gold marks aren't too far off. I'd test on the tongue part of the clasp. It looks like it ought to be rhodium plated silver but I've seen goofier stuff happen. Try the 18K acid on a scratch test; if it curdles up it's silver. If it stays put you might have something better. If it vanishes, it's probably plated.

20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could use 18k to test for silver.
    This is what I was left with using 18k acid. It looks like it slightly 'lifted' off the stone- is that what you meant by curdled?.

IMG_2727.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted