Temple Rubbing

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevin Meade, Aug 8, 2018.

1. kelsey.ammber

kelsey.ammber New Member

Thank you! attached are close up details, however, I see the article below for the "deer hunt". On the auction site they both were listed as vintage temple hand rubbings... if they are not then what would they be considered, just a different named rubbing?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Bronwen, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  2. kelsey.ammber

kelsey.ammber New Member

This is amazing... Thank you!

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They could be rubbings from copies of the original reliefs, I know there are places where tourists can do that. They could also have been printed to look like rubbings, but I am not familiar with printing techniques.

4. kelsey.ammber

kelsey.ammber New Member

I appreciate all of this information :)

i need help, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Jaxson3010

Jaxson3010 New Member

Cool information. I too bought these with the 1960’s frames at a flea market. I love them. 2D13F757-F500-4B2C-B249-CD5F43D0A279.jpeg A024D0C5-5568-4096-8864-62D03EB0CF01.jpeg 9931C1FE-FF32-4A4B-9BC7-CB93FE4C9BAD.jpeg

6. Any Jewelry

Welcome @Jaxson3010 . Glad you're still enjoying your flea market find.:)

7. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

So much is now explained! "It's terrible luck to keep a broken Buddha." In 1985 I went to China for 5 weeks and hired a painter to paint the interior of my house while I was gone so I wouldn't have to smell the paint. He knocked over a large Buddha that had belonged to my great grandparents (missionaries in Burma) and thought he could g IMG_0152.jpg lue the head back on with contact cement. I have stored this beheaded Buddha all these years hoping to be able to afford getting him repaired. Maybe I would have had better luck in life if I had just let him pass on! (Although I do not really complain about my luck. It's been pretty decent.)

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I am so sorry that happened, Anna. It is gorgeous, and antique.
    That is quite a loss in value too. Did you get any reimbursement?

I don't know whether Burma/Myanmar has the same tradition about Buddha heads. Buddhism is different in every culture. I know it isn't bad luck in Indonesia, the Buddha heads on the Borobudur were simply put back during the different phases of the restoration, and Buddhist ceremonies are held there occasionally.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Piyo

Piyo New Member

Search "Thai Rubbing from the South Wall of the Temple of Wat Po" from facebook fanpage.

10. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

@AuDragon @Any Jewelry Can anyone authenticate the location of this temple carving? Two internet sale sights say Angkor Wat as well, but I can not locate a source to confirm it. I've tried all the above resource links also. Thank you! Thai temple2mailable.jpg

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Robert Martinez

Robert Martinez New Member

76CBBFE3-E8E7-4270-B2E2-BBA5224FA574.jpeg @AuDragonThere is so much information in this forum it’s extremely helpful I love learning about the past and it’s history. I also recently picked up a rubbing I’d love to know if someone can help me find out which temple it’s from.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Tisha Clary and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

13. Robert Martinez

Robert Martinez New Member

14. Tisha Clary

Tisha Clary New Member

I'm new here. I just found this site while researching the pair of what I am thinking are temple rubbings. Is there a way to tell if they are not replicas? Based on the frames, I'm leaning on they are the real deal. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

16. Tisha Clary

Tisha Clary New Member

Thank you for sharing the story about this!
    I've practiced yoga and am familiar with Hanuman and love seeing these temple rubbings. I never knew anything about the process or that they existed.
    I found a pair at a garage sale and started researching them and stumbled on this site. Do you know what I should look for or maybe point me in a direction to a resource that most towns have locally to learn more about what I have?

17. Natalya

Natalya New Member

I also bought a rubbing off of a lady who got it from a military service man's estate sale. (An older gentleman.) As I was reading the comments, it looks like mine might be a replica, but I love it anyways. Then again, maybe not. I only say replica bc I read the subject was dancing girls. Mine looks like a soldier. Can anyone take a look & let me know where it's from & who it is? Thank you!
    (How do you upload a picture that says it's too large?)

18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

19. Natalya

Natalya New Member

20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You can email it to yourself as Medium to get the right size.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted