Temple Rubbing

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevin Meade, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Mikayla Hobbs

Mikayla Hobbs New Member

Hopefully his thread is still active!

I recently bought this Thai temple rubbing and was wondering if this is an authentic piece? The person I bought it from said he got it from an auction and had it for over 15 years before deciding on selling.

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that's super rare. seems to be a copy of the white palace which was built in white marble and copied to white paper.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

in other words............
    start a new thread........and post some photo's !!

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  4. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

In a snowstorm

komokwa likes this.
  5. @joeygood

@joeygood New Member

I have a temple rubbing that is signed but has 8 people in the one image. I have not seen any other image online that has that many people in one image and signed. Is this rate you think?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  6. @joeygood

@joeygood New Member

439E8469-152C-46F6-A1E5-053FC0CF8F41.jpeg 1FF52BBB-6B60-4B2C-939E-9B22E6D9EFDB.jpeg Here is my rubbing and the signature on it. Is this real and rare?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2021
  7. @joeygood

@joeygood New Member

@Any Jewelry you familiar with this image and signature?

8. komokwa

why would this one be any rarer than any other?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. @joeygood

@joeygood New Member

Due to the number of people on the rubbing (8) and signed. I have not seen any image online with 8 people in one rubbing or even close to that many. Also signed which is unusual.

10. komokwa

unusual.....OK....
    really nice.......that too
    but rare.......... steaks can be rare....this type of rubbing is not.

If you can identify the siggy and where and when it came from....only that will dictate a higher value than any others.. IMO !!

11. @joeygood

@joeygood New Member

You have a lot of experience with these type of rubbings?

12. komokwa

I'm no expert..........let's see what others have to say !!;):)

13. Newbie47

Newbie47 New Member

For what it's worth, I have seen the figures in different rubbings in different configurations usually grouped in 3 to 5 and linear to each other. This looks like a conglomeration of various similar scenes in a random pattern for each individual (dancers and musicians). The original rubbings were not done by independent artists in the 50s 60s and 70s, but by monks who did them for money, or locals, so those were probably never signed. This signature, to me, indicates a more modern rubbing. If it is more modern, then it is probably from a replicated relief of an original. The artist appears to have used the right kind of paper but it is whiter than the older ones (based on how it appears in the photo). I am no expert, but I have seen many rubbings as my mother is Thai and we have some from the 60s/70s when my parents lived there.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Laura Bolas

Laura Bolas New Member

15. Laura Bolas

Laura Bolas New Member

Hi Kevin , this is Laura, I was researching a tapestry that I had found Google Lens brought me here.

16. Illuminated

Illuminated New Member

17. Illuminated

Illuminated New Member

Hi I really appreciate your contribution to this thread! I know there are probably thousands of these so I was so impressed on how much information you had. Is this one below an image you might also be familiar with? View attachment 358943

18. Illuminated

Illuminated New Member

Is anyone familiar with this style or image from Thailand?

Attached Files:

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is also a temple rubbing. Here is a list of images from Wat Pho, the most famous temple for rubbings, you can see if yours is among them:

https://thaitemplerubbings.com/articles/wat-pho-reliefs/

Illuminated likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Since Kevin has had his answer over 3 years ago and is no longer involved, I will stop replying to this thread.
    For anyone else with questions about Thai temple rubbings, please start your own thread.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted