Featured Terra Sigillata ... wonderful style, wonderful feel! Signed too!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Touchdry, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This superb Terra Sigillata Vase feels incredible to the touch.
    There are so many fascinating aspects to it, including the top having been chattered.
    I think it might be of European origin.
    It has an unreadable hand-incised mark on the base. I am seeing GNL If anyone can recognize this then I shall be very happy ... thank you.
    In excellent condition - no scratches, chips, or cracks.
    Dimensions: 3.75inches high/955mm high. Diameter 4 inches/100mm.

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If you look up sigilography, it will not surprise you that it is signed. :)

3. Touchdry

Interesting comment Bronwen. :) I just love the word sigillata ... and the pot, get a most sensual feely thrill when its in my hands. But I hope you looked up 'sigillata' too - and read the difference between the two similar words.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Found this Wiki bit on terra sigillata:

Usually roughly translated as 'sealed earth', the meaning of 'terra sigillata' is 'clay bearing little images' (Latin sigilla), not 'clay with a sealed (impervious) surface'.

This is the archeological usage of the term, & I have part of a foot in that world, so my mind tends in that direction. The meaning of the word 'seal' has become slippery. :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe GVL? But I don’t know who that is either.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. Touchdry

What fascinates me is the way the 'letters' have been written ... not what would expect from three letters ... I mean why is the L (if it IS an L) small and slightly apart from the other two? There is so much to 'read' (ie guess) here. Really, I need to recognize the style of work ... and there are a couple of French potters who play with sort of process - but neither of them has owned up to being the maker ... so I keep searching ...

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe the L is a code of some kind for the glaze or such.

Bronwen and Touchdry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Like Bronwen I was expecting this kind of thing:hilarious:
    [​IMG]

It is a nice vase though. And yes, I looked up the modern version as well, and found that it is the glaze which has that effect, not the clay itself. Which is why the siggy is just one colour, the colour of the clay.

BoudiccaJones and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted