Featured Thai Elephant Ceramic or Pottery Vessel What and How Old

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by colonelmustard, Nov 18, 2019.

1. colonelmustard

colonelmustard Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store and just found it so interesting. The price tag they had on it said it was a teapot but I am certain it isn't that. The material it is made of has a light red appearance...like clay, on the unglazed rim of the bottom. There is a hole in the elephants mouth leading to the interior, not his trunk. I am just not sure of it's age or purpose...any collectors out there that can help? Thanks in advance 20191110_1531511.jpg 20191110_1532111.jpg 20191110_1532491.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, colonelm. It looks like a ca 1970s take on a traditional kendi/gendi, a water vessel. It is a miracle that the trunk is still in one piece.
    Thai could be right, but just wondering, how did you come to that conclusion?

@Silver Wolf , have you ever come across a kendi like this?

3. colonelmustard

I actually googled "elephant rider vessel" and this one popped up hb_1989.238.41.jpg
    from here:
    https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1989.238.41/
    and they just looked so similar that I thought the origin must be the same. Mine being more modern of course but it is still so unusual

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they are clearly related, and very unusual. I like them both. Maybe Silver Wolf has come across one like yours before, he has been tagged.

5. colonelmustard

Thank you

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

One of those things you buy "just because" ! So cool looking .

7. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

thank you,so this is a thai pottery style base the sawankhalok or sangkhalok pottery of 14-15th century in the northern thailand in sukhothai province,but this one looks a recent or modern reproduction,the old one using the brown clay.i do recognize the elephant style and the rider because i have the original one of sangkhalok pottery.:angelic::angelic:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Silver Wolf

do the elephant nose tip has the hole?i think this kind purpose of vase,the old one has many shape in statue and jar/jarlet form aj:smuggrin:

9. Silver Wolf

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’ve hardly ever seen an elephants trunk on the secondary market that’s not broken. At a thrift store it truly is a downright miracle.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted