Featured The 3-tier tazza saga....Meissen or just a pretty thing?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sassafras, Oct 29, 2023.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

There are certain things that I keep lounging around my house because I just find them interesting. Not the most valuable or beautiful things, just interesting. This tazza falls in that group. I walk by it every day and (depending on my mood) admire it or give it the side eye...like it's a fraud creeping around my dining room. I think I have him figured out, but would love to hear everyone's opinions on it. :) 20231026_135508.jpg 20231026_135518.jpg 20231026_135635.jpg 20231026_140450.jpg 20231026_140458.jpg 20231026_140512.jpg 20231026_135705.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking Meissen before I ever saw the mark. Almost had to be theirs.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am no expert, but don't Meissen figurines have more detailed hands?

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Sass!

Beautiful tazza!

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. sassafras

Thanks, @i need help ! So good to see you. The link you posted is the only other time I've seen this particular figure on a blue onion tazza. There are lots of them out there with adults and children, but I'm so glad you found my fella's twin. Thank you so much for finding it! Interesting that it has the Teichert Meissen mark.

Hey, @evelyb30 ! One of my concerns was that it's pretty sloppy for Meissen, however IMHO "Blue Onion" is pretty sloppy on the whole. :)

Thanks for dropping by @Any Jewelry . Wonder if the fact that it's tableware would have anything to do with the less detailed hands? Less of a chance of breaking tiny fingers if someone were to pick it up by man rather than the base. The tazza is 21", but he's only about 5 1/2" tall.

Well...hello there, @judy ! So glad to see you. It's been far too long, my friend. :)

7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm not a Meissen (or otherwise much of anything) expert, but what @Any Jewelry mentioned is concerning (about the detail of the hands) - also - I think the mark is a bit messy at the bottom, also the swords are crossed a little higher up than they should be (IMO).

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction.

The one in the link has a similar looking hand if you enlarge the photo.

I'm also not a Meissen expert, this just seems to have some above average quality.

cxgirl likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

LOVE this tazza! Is it my eyes, the photo or what, but is the reverse of the middle plate undecorated? Was the middle plate broken and replaced? IDK.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    cxgirl likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. sassafras

Hey, @aaroncab ! The height of where the swords cross has bothered me too. But then I keep coming across ones like this from the Antique-Marks website. They website says it's circa 1815. Don't think this is that early, but I could be wrong. Hmmmm
    [​IMG]

Waving at @Lucille.b ! I think he's from the same mold as the one INH posted in the link. The wonky mold lines below his feet give it away. ;)

Good eye, @ola402 The bottom of the second tier is undecorated. It has a painted artist number and an impressed "56" (maybe a bossierer number?) on the underside.

Hi there @kentworld I found this interesting from the link that you provided "The Meissen Oven and Porcelain Manufactory formerly Carl Teichert (Meissner Ofen- und Porzellanfabrik vorm. Carl Teichert) mark is often mistakenly taken for Royal (later State) Porcelain Manufactory Meissen, which used crossed swords as a mark.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. sassafras

meisseni-mark-1.jpg

Oops! Here's the pic with the high crossed swords that I was referring to in the above post.

aaroncab and John Brassey like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I wonder if the center plate was added to a two tier rather than replacing a three tier?

14. sassafras

The rod assembly in the center is for three tier. Maybe the middle tier broke and was replaced by a plate with a hole drilled in the middle? I might take it apart tonight to check and see if there's any glaze in the hole. :nailbiting:

i need help likes this.
  15. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think that the phrase you emphasized refers to the royal Meissen factory and the Carl Teichert. When I googled, I didn't see any crossed sword marks for Carl Teichert, but I didn't look for very long. Maybe @Chris Marshall might clear up the confusion. :)

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Shown item here is not Teichert; the linked item (linked in the thread somewhere) merely shows a *similar* item than this one with an oval with MEISSEN (Teichert, later Boch) mark.

I am a little tight re: online time at the mo' (hospital, a nuisance) but have received inquiries regarding two very similar items from different people in four days. And - like this one - they also feel *off* for some reason. Hit me with a soggy loaf of bread, but three in a row sounds like a huge coincidence. Need a day or two and I'll check ...

17. sassafras

Thanks, @kentworld ! I didn't see any crossed swords for Teichert either.

Appreciate the help, @Chris Marshall . Let me know if you'd like pics of anything specific. Would love to see what the other folks have for comparisons. Wonder if they would be willing to share theirs?

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hope all is well, Chris.

19. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Correction to previous post: "Bloch", not "Boch". Meds, don't we all love 'em. All is well, however this in-and-out is getting on my nerves as my arm is still acting up.

Had time to check OPs item; it's from around 1900 and is based on Meissen mold 317; also found an example of that mold (including the matching pattern!) in Sterba's "Meissener Tafelgeschirr" publication, see attached scan.

Attached Files:

komokwa, aaroncab, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  20. sassafras

@Chris Marshall Very cool! Thank you so much for the info. Wish that book were printed in English.

Draft saved Draft deleted