Featured The Coveted Blue Edn. of the McCall's Cook Book!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MacMorrighan, Aug 5, 2017.

1. MacMorrighan

MacMorrighan Active Member

Squeeee!!! Check out this treasure that I bought at a library book sale for $1.00! Why the blue edition from 1963 is more coveted than the red and the green editions, I have no idea! But, outside of the dust jacket, which none of the other Amazon bids have, my copy is in IMMACULATE condition! Here in the U.S.McCall is associated with sewing patterns, rather than cooking; so, a lot of people have never heard of the McCall cookbook. I also own the Green Edition, so I think I should pass that edition on to a friend of mine, and keep this Blue Edition for myself... Someone is selling this book, in poorer condition than mine, for almost $300 on amazon, while another Blue Edn. in even shabbier condition than the $300 copy for almost $60.00.

FSCN7333.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have never seen nor heard of McCall's producing a cookbook, Mac (and I thought I had seen every general cookbook printed since my birth and some from before then.) What is so "coveted" about this one?

3. MacMorrighan

You're guess is as good as mine, but I love vintage cook books nonetheless. I've met a lot of peeps who've never heard of it either, since McCalls is more well known for patterns and sewing. I've asked a vintage cookbook site for their thoughts, so if I find out something I'll it post it here unless someone beats me to the punch.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That will be interesting. But how do you know that it's "coveted?" Did someone tell you that? Have you heard this from several people? Or is it just the prices sellers are asking for it?

5. MacMorrighan

Nah, it wasn't based on the seller's prices alone, but I recall someone making an off-hand comment that it's valuable for some reason a long while back. More so than the green edition.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

McCall's cookbooks are a compilation of the recipes printed in the magazine. The magazines were usually discarded when the new issue was received, so people kept "losing" the recipes. So the cookbook was issued and was a huge seller. I forget how many editions it went into..............

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same as Mansons. The McCall magazine was very popular. So the cook book must be a compilation of the recipes from the magazine.

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Possibly it has well liked recipes that are in no other.
    And if it's that rare then collectors may be after it?

9. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Love these old cookbooks, especially the dessert recipes, such as making simple sponge cake, simple caramel, and simple pie crusts.
    What more could you want? :D

10. MacMorrighan

Fascinating! I had no idea there was a McCall's magazine! I am finding, though, that I really enjoy that the cover actually matches the interior, IIRC. EG. in my Green edition, it still has blue illustrations and type!

KingofThings and toomanytocount like this.
  11. KingofThings

I think I have a pile of those magazines......

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. KingofThings

I will watch for these and peeked in GW today already.
    I do look at cookbooks for I found a nice BC first once but didn't have eBidet access yet though. I did get $40 in a shop so...

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You might like the McCall's Cooking School recipes you sometimes find in 3 ring binders. They have step by step photographs. I've been making their lasagna for 40 years. I think the recipes may have been sold in sets, because every binder I've found has different configurations.

14. KingofThings

Jeez!
    That lasagna is surely done by now!
    :wideyed::eek::woot::rolleyes:

15. MacMorrighan

Sounds fascinating! I <3 vintage cookbooks. I am looking out for any vintage cook books that specialize in using herbs throughout; but, I haven't found one yet. :p

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

That could be quite a search!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

KOT is right - that might be quite a search.......because for decades everyone cooked with herbs and spices - a "natural" and necessary part of good cooking.

Today everyone cooks with HERBS AND SPICES, OH MY!!!!!!! As if they are something new and exotic..........

So in older recipes they won't be touted and will seldom be part of the name of the dish, just part of the ingredients..............

18. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Spice Island Cookbook. Published in the 1960s.
    Of course they would be using their dried seasonings, but you could substitute fresh.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

McCall's Cookbook 1st Edition Hardcover Vintage Blue Cover 1963 Illustrated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Item condition:
    Good

Ended:
    Aug 04, 2017 , 9:42AM

Price:
    US $14.95