Featured The Job Lot wiht mysteries

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bloke who thinks He Knows sold me this lot for twenty quid. It was a fiver each or three for a tenner but he let me have seven bits. The Latin motto brooch is most intriguing. Lovely millefiore cane centre and I think it's silver. The gold stick pin has got MINUTE marks, damn the thing. Beads aren't amber. What the heck are they. Arg.

P1210428 smll.JPG P1210429 small.JPG P1210435.JPG P1210424 small.JPG P1210423 small.JPG P1210434 small.JPG P1210433 small.JPG P1210427 small.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

French.:) Dieu vous garde, (may) God protect you.
    Very interesting in combination with that lovely glass.

IvaPan, kyratango, mirana and 5 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Oh god, I knew that. My fingers went their own way. Isn’t it nice? Really well made.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The Wedgwood is Hope. Is the protection medal (my favorite of the lot) also inlaid with goldstone?

IvaPan, kyratango, mirana and 5 others like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

All that...and a cute pocket knife

IvaPan, kyratango, bercrystal and 7 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What's stuck in the cork?

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

A good chance they're butterscotch bakelite...an' nicely strung & graduated!

baltojoe75, IvaPan, Dessert58 and 5 others like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is that a mark on the Latin brooch, at about 12 ‘o clock?

IvaPan, bercrystal, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And another one at about 1 o'clock?

IvaPan, bercrystal, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

@Bronwen i think it’s aventurine glass rather than goldstone, given the millefiori and the blue glass. It’s all one plaque. Lovely quality. The Wedgwood is in a white metal frame, probably silver, they didn’t mark smalls. It’s going as a birthday gift to a friend. Long story, I’d got her a Wedgwood pendant, lost in the post. The cork has a couple of little stick pins with putti heads.

I’ll have a squint for marks, you sharp eyed lot. And fish out my simichrome equivalent.

the silver knife has import marks. It’s dinged on the reverse, but hey!

IvaPan, kyratango, mirana and 3 others like this.
  11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

These 'Job Lots' are quite intriguing & seem a fun way to dunk one's toe into the jewelry game.I've seen some here plucked off Ebay that are quite extraordinary.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I love a good job lot! The "aventurine" glass is goldstone glass. Same beast. The butterscotch beads almost have to be bakelite. Some good old sodium bicarb ought to test them, but run a blacklight over them just in case they're realy lightweight and you REALLY got lucky.

IvaPan, Bronwen, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Hell of a deal at 20! That glass center brooch is SO interesting.

14. bosko69

I know most of You have studied Jewelry for years,but is there a Site-'Jewelry For Dummies', that talk abt all these tricks-pearls to the teeth, Sodium Bicarb,Blacklight testing,etc.?

IvaPan, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Probably, but we're "that old fart who knows everything" at least as a group.

baltojoe75, IvaPan, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  16. bosko69

As a group You all do know everything-like an Oxford/Harvard Jewelry 'Think Tank'. You all seem to have been into jewelry most of your lives,and seem as enthusiastic as when you were kids.
    'Joolies' was a bit of a 'no-no' for boys back in the 60's-couldn't even get too familiar w/ your GI Joe's.

IvaPan, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

The glass one is intriguing. Has to have a meaning, but I can’t find the emblem. The beads don’t do the UV thing, so Bakelite test next.

18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I was so intrigued by the center of the pin that I did not notice the buckle at the bottom. I did a quick Google search for "dieu vous garde belt" & came up with several examples.

It looks like it was made by different people over the years in all types.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...oFHYMUDMgQjJkEegQIARAC&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1

This one calls it a "clan badge". Could the symbol in the center have anything to do with a possible clan?

Just throwing out ideas. :happy::happy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1199094546/antique-dieu-vous-garde-solid-silver

19. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

My go-to tests are either 409 cleaner or Simichrome; both show a yellow stain on a Q-tip as positive for Bakelite. I'm not familiar with NaHCO3 being used in that way. Please illuminate this for me, and Thanks!

baltojoe75 and bercrystal like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes. It’s called Antiquers :rolleyes::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted