Featured The rest of the old jewelry I was given

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, May 4, 2022.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

The first group is of front of pendants and then the backs. Most need to be cleaned and/or repaired. One of them is missing either marcasites or cut steel. The green one has a dangle that is broken but I think it can fixed. The silver cross is Sarah Coventry so not super old, maybe 70's or 80's. A couple of the chains are marked sterling.

Resize Pendants.JPG

Resize Pendants back.JPG

The second group of picture lockets and one cameo. Backs are the next pic and the two open follow that one. It appears that the cameo is in upside down as the bale and pin mechanism are opposite of the top of her head but I don't see any glue residue as though it had been removed and put back in.

Resize lockets.JPG

Resize locket backs.JPG

Resize lockets open.JPG

And finally, some odds and ends that I am clueless about what they are. My guesses are (top) broken watch fobs; A toothpick (the pick part slides in and out of sheath) and shirt studs? The one with the green top I think is a stick pin. Resize odds.JPG

Any and all comments, opinions and advice are very welcome. But mostly I just wanted to share some old jewelry with everyone who has been so kind as to answer so many of my question.

Attached Files:

Born2it, stracci, KSW and 8 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Nice group!

I think the green necklace is likely Czech. Possibly the two necklaces on either sides of that one as well.

stracci, KSW, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh what a lovely lot! Do you have a UV torch? That green one looks like it could glow. Can we see some close ups if the lockets? The one with the flip out photos looks really interesting and the one under it?

4. Lizzie

Here are some close ups of the lockets. I can't get the little one open. I've only gotten it open twice before and once was because I dropped it on the kitchen floor. And no, I don't have a UV light. Resize closeups.JPG

Resize triple.JPG

Resize sides.JPG

I so appreciate your comments. I think all the old ones will be really lovely once they are cleaned up. I wondered if the three pendants at the top center might be Czech. I also thinking they might be from the 1920' 1930's. I think lockets might be older.

komokwa, stracci, KSW and 4 others like this.
  5. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Love the lavalier necklaces! In the last group, those are watch chains with other odd things attached. On the left one the small pin looks like a baby or handy pin. It's hard to tell from the picture but the retractable one could be a toothpick or a sewing tool. Bottom left are cufflinks.

stracci and KSW like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree on those pendants being between the wars Czech/Bohemian. That triptych locket does look Victorian, as does the stone set one.Square brooch is late 19th as is the oval one.

Born2it, stracci and KSW like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The needle thing looks like a bodkin, i.e. a sewing tool. The first three necklaces appear Czech.

stracci and KSW like this.
  8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

What a great collection of antique jewelry!
    I especially love the lockets.

9. Lizzie

So glad everyone enjoyed looking at the pieces. Thanks for all your comments.

Ownedbybear: the one you referred to as having a stone actually contains a picture but it is so faded that it looks blank. The square one has a woman's picture in it but it is almost black colored.

And I forgot to post the pins. The one with blue rhinestones was a pin at one time I think but the pin mechanism is gone and someone added a jump ring to turn it into a pendant. Except for the two piece dagger brooch and the gold bar pin (lower bottom left) which has a bugle clasp, I don't think these are antique but more or less vintage.

Resize pins.JPG

back resize.JPG

Bakersgma and stracci like this.
  10. Lizzie

Evelyb30, I did a search on bodkins but they appear to have an eye at the top for threading but this piece does not. Is that unusual?

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

luv the dagger.....nicer than most .... of it's ilk

12. Lizzie

Komokwa, the dagger is my favorite. It has some issues. The chain needs to be reattached, there are some missing beads and of course, it needs to be cleaned up. But overall it's a great piece.

13. evelyb30

I was guessing. It's some sort of sewing/embroidery tool, but not all of them have eye holes for thread. Some are just for punching holes.

BTW - the one with the safety pin back is a legit oldie.

14. Lizzie

Thanks, evelyb30 for the information. I am always appreciative of the knowledge I get from all of you.

Born2it likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Such as it is. You're welcome!

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Then someone put her back very neatly. I call her Headband Girl. She is perhaps the most widely reproduced cameo design in the world, will be glass or plastic, dating anytime post-WWII.

17. Lizzie

Thanks Bronwen. She's plastic.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted