Featured The William K. du Pont Collection: Important Americana from Rocky Hill

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, May 15, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Knew it was coming, just didn't know when or where, this Jan. 2022 during the Americana Week in NYC at Sotheby's.
    This guy assembled one of the finest early furniture collections in the nation that is in private hands.
    Yes, the prices for the most part, will be in the stratosphere but there could be opportunities for some pieces.
    https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...important-americana-from-rocky-hill?locale=en
    click to enlarge
    download.jpg

Sotheby's blurb about the collection.

"One of the greatest private collections of Americana ever assembled will headline Sotheby’s Americana Week in January 2022 in New York. The du Pont name is among the most notable and storied names in American history, and seldom do American collectors immerse themselves so thoroughly in the essence of colonial life.

Over the course of decades, William K. du Pont assembled a collection that is entirely unique in character and importance, comprising some of the best examples of Americana ever to appear at auction. The definition of a true connoisseur, Mr. du Pont was a devoted scholar and voracious collector, who was a prominent fixture on the committees of both the Philadelphia and Delaware Antiques Shows, among other notable organizations. Mr. du Pont also served for many years on the board of Winterthur, a picturesque estate originally owned by his family and now the premier museum for American decorative arts that houses the legendary collection of Henry Francis du Pont.

Sotheby’s will share additional details about the collection later this fall, ahead of our Americana Week auctions in January 2022."

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'll be watching for the catalog.

Figtree3, judy, Tanya and 3 others like this.
  3. James Conrad

Ditto! Bill was into a lot of other stuff besides furniture, early guns, metal, paintings, silver, coins, etc. so there is probably something for everyone who is into early americana.
    I registered already, I am paddle #5, may the force be with me!:happy:

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  4. James Conrad

According to someone I know who has viewed this collection, even that bed warmer in the above photo hanging on the wall is a very important piece.
    "The bed warmer in the photo is awesome...he told me he paid $10,000 for it and it is New England, having an engraved history of the life of Squanto. That I want!"

OK, FINE BY ME! I'll take the rest of the stuff!:p

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

That's going to be one labor-intensive and weighty catalog, with all the provenance to record.

7. James Conrad

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of, a collection like this only comes along once in a lifetime, if that!
    I had planned on remodeling my master bath next year so......
    59nh43.jpg
    The good news is, Lisa Minardi, a furniture scholar has been at Rocky Hill for the past few years photographing & cataloging this collection for a book that will help enormously on that score. I wonder if it will be published before the sale.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924, judy and 7 others like this.
  8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

If the publishers have any marketing skills, it will be!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOOO-HOOOO!!! AND A WHOLE LOTTA BUCKS!! I mean LUCK!!:happy::happy:

Msalicia, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Don't be afraid of me, I only bite on Tuesday :)

Born2it, Figtree3, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good luck to you both...........!

Aquitaine, judy and James Conrad like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Rocky Hill... Connecticut? If so no wonder I can't find any of the good old stuff any more. This dude bought it all!

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be Sotheby's will adapt her work for the catalog, or publish it in connection with the sale.

Figtree3, judy and James Conrad like this.
  14. James Conrad

No, Rocky Hill is the name of his farm I think in Newark Delaware, small-town about 1/2 way between Baltimore & Philadelphia. Part of the Delaware River Valley that covers parts of 4 states, Del, Pa, NJ and Maryland eastern shore.
    Pretty big area with Philly being the largest city in the region.

Yeah I wondered about that, is pretty sure Miardi book info was discussed but it kinda depends on who funded her book & what they say. Guesses Winterthur but not sure about that.

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  15. James Conrad

LOL Yeah!
    Well, not exactly but this guy collected for over 50 years & CONSTANTLY bought & sold to better & better objects. Everybody who was anybody in the collecting world in that area knew him. Very affable guy from what I hear, he knew EVERYBODY.
    In that sense a unique collection for sure and outstanding examples in every category which apparently included brass bed warmers.:p

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And probably bed pans too!

KikoBlueEyes, judy and James Conrad like this.
  17. James Conrad

I now think Bill himself funded this book about his collection, in addition to Minardi, Gavin Ashworth did the photos.
    Why is this book taking so long to publish?
    "Most of the photography was completed at Rocky Hill, but Minardi must track down pieces that left the collection for other prestigious assemblages."
    Yep. there is ALWAYS a bump or two in the road with projects like this.
    "Minardi, now executive director of Historic Trappe, had been du Pont’s curatorial advisor for many years. “I first met Bill in 2004, when I started in the Winterthur M.A. program."
    “Unbeknownst to me when I first met him, Bill had long been planning to do a book on his collection. In 2008 he shared this idea with me—then he stunned me when he said that he wanted me to write it! As a young Winterthur curator, I found it hard to believe that he really wanted me to be the author. But he was indeed serious and reminded me often about the project. Work finally got underway three years ago as Bill approached his eightieth birthday. Working together with photographer Gavin Ashworth, we set up a photo studio in Bill’s living room at Rocky Hill and got to work. While Gavin photographed, I dusted, measured, and took notes on hundreds of objects. Bill helped us move furniture in and out of the set, polished all of the silver, and along the way shared the most amazing stories from a lifetime of collecting. It was truly a team effort. The book is Bill’s legacy, and I very much hope to complete the project for him and for everyone in the Americana field.”

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Compared to acquiring a sensational prized object from this collection, a bathroom remodel is nothing. What a wonderful time while you explore the offerings! I am hoping for an overlooked tidbit amongst the more spectacular pieces, but you could score a special piece with your greater resources, both in knowledge and finances. :)

judy likes this.
  20. James Conrad

Well, I am hoping to do both! :happy:
    Something that is overlooked for one reason or another is my game plan.
    I already know most of the furniture I would be interested in is going to be out of the question, by the time this sale occurs everyone on the planet will be aware.
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Minardi book comes out this fall either, complete with very professional photographs.
    Not only deep-pocketed collectors but museums up the ying-yang will have their reps attending this sale.

judy, moreotherstuff and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted