Thinking about buying a digital microscope. Advice?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the digital microscopes and wondered if anyone here has one and can offer some advice. It will be used most often for identifying and photographing marks on jewelry and other items that are difficult to see because of the location and/or size. Would the inexpensive models be enough for this purpose? Are there specifications that are a must have or things that are not necessary on some of the more expensive models? Zoom, megapixels? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to one of the inexpensive models just for to show what I'm talking about an for information purposes only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000X-USB-...sories-Coin-Inspection-US-Stock-/302714813247

scoutshouse and AJefferson like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I've had one like that for around 6 years, ideal for viewing on a big screen and taking pictures.

I only use it occasionally.
    The only criticism I have on my model is you cannot turn the lights off and if you have a shiny material it sometimes reflects back obscuring the target.

Great for looking at things you've never seen before, like inside your ear :rolleyes::D

Jivvy, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Great tip about the lights. Thanks. :hilarious: I don't know why but, your ear exploration made me think of this.

scoutshouse and daveydempsey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted