this chest is really old/ help ID

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gr8white, Sep 20, 2016.

1. gr8white

gr8white New Member

I have this cedar chest. The picture that is on the inside of the door is really old and I can tell that this chest was built many many years ago. The quality of workmanship is mind blowing compared to modern standards. Can anyone tell me anything about this chest? Thanks!

20160920_000818.jpg 20160920_000839.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's a steamer trunk ( luggage) used by boat passengers .
    We have had several of these talked about here on different threads.

It's missing the inside shelf.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. gr8white

gr8white New Member

I assume its really old because of the pic inside. For some reason the picture size of a close up of the pic inside the chest is too large for me to post here. Is this chest worth anything to a collector? or is it more worth keeping?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. komokwa

a bit of both.....while not great money....the rounded top suggests it was used by a person of means.....but cleaned up it makes an interesting & usable piece of furniture worth hanging on to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_(luggage)

KingofThings likes this.
  5. komokwa

Good ones that are complete can really kick ass ......

[​IMG]

Are there any markings on yours??
    MFG info can up the cost.

cxgirl, Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  6. gr8white

gr8white New Member

I did some research and found the value to be around 65.00 I rather keep it. I really like it.

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Komo is correct on all points.
    Enjoy it!
    If you watch carefully, and save the max dimensions in your phone, you might come across an inner tray to fit it....
    Or make your own.

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. At first I thought it might be a dome top (AKA humpbacks and camelbacks) rather than a round top. A round top slopes down from the center only to the front and back with the crest the same height from end to end. A dome top slopes down front, back and to the ends.

Round tops came metal-covered, leather-covered and wooden. Yours is a little unusual having 5 horizontal staves. They usually had only 3 horizontal staves or 5 wood or metal vertical staves. Really look closely at hardware (lock, hinges, etc...) for possibly patent info. Sometimes you can luck into an actual patent date of the hardware meaning the earliest the trunk could date.

Komo... has already shown some of the lining pics found in these trunk. Here is a page of more.
    http://www.oldtrunks.com/history/historypages/picturepages/pictures-ladies.htm

Here is an fairly good antique trunk site. It has examples, trunk parts, they restore - can be expensive, etc.
    http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/

Thought this page about value was fun.
    http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/value.htm

--- Susan

9. gr8white

gr8white New Member

wow this is great info Susan. Thank you! I decided not to re finish it. I like it just the way it is since I am decorating my home with man antiques.

cxgirl likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Meant to add to the reply that round top as wellas dome tops were very popular in the 1870s by the upper crust of society who traveled extensively to spas and to Europe. Some think they "... were made for those who wanted to try to have their trunk packed on the top of baggage cars, so they would not be damaged."

--- Susan

11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Well, I am available..................unless of course that is a typo and you meant MANY..................but even then, I'm available!!!!!!

PS - sorry, that was not at all HELPFUL, but I couldn't resist sharing my rather silly sense of humor.................

Draft saved Draft deleted