Featured This makes me think majolica

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Feb 6, 2021.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

EB041B8E-D549-4180-AC77-924FF2A79BF3.jpeg 4719805D-DFBD-4C01-B7E7-F7AB05B681D0.jpeg 9A4C26F9-433A-4A9E-B6F7-05BEDCD44272.jpeg
    but google image said it was maryjane. Lol. Hard to make out what is on the back but it looks like MW scrolled together Is this old, new, homegrown, I mean homemade. It’s kinda purdy. It’s about 11” wide or so
    Thank you for any help.

2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I would say 100% majoilca. Be good if you could find the monogram

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This site shows a MW incised mark and they are saying it's a modern one. I did a flip through the two books of majolica I have without seeing it though that alone really is inconclusive.

https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Majolica--Reproductions

The firm making the better quality copies fortunately marks their ware with the incised letters MW shown above about actual size. Notice how the mark varies from piece to piece. Also note the new bottoms in both Figs. 15 and 16 are daubed with paint similar to bottoms on old pieces. Both also have random letters and numbers in cobalt blue--obvious in Fig. 16, smudged (above the penny) in Fig. 14.

[​IMG]

4. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Very cool look color/pattern imo, and that’s from a non Majolica lover. I have been flipping some lately. I’m someone who gets emotionally attached to most things that I buy intending to resell but I can let go of Majolica easiest since I don’t absolutely love it. Having some nice pieces sitting around it is starting to grow on me more though.

6. ritzyvintage

I agree. I browsed through quite a few pages of Majolica items online whilst looking for anything similar, and although there were other nice pieces, to J Dagger's example stands out from the crowd. It's quite a piece and pleasantly vibrant in colour. My initial thought was Portuguese, but???

J Dagger and gauntlettgems like this.
  7. gauntlettgems

The bottom color kinda looks like it was done on purpose. Do you think it was done to make it look older or just for decorative purposes?

Figtree3 and ritzyvintage like this.
  8. gauntlettgems

I too have a hard time with things I buy to resell. I do like majolica but I am not a collector of it yet. I’ve had one piece that has fissures all through it. I have to watch it when I move it. I absolutely fell in love with it and I can only think that it’s because of how it is colored. I have it put up where I can see it and no one can breathe on it. I have a 4’ tang horse as well in terrible condition but I just can’t throw it away. His upper body has become detached from all of his legs!! I’ve moved him twice from house to house. I know one day he’ll truly bite the dust. For now he still is beautiful and you really cannot tell so I’ll ride him til his wheels fall off. He makes me happy when I look at him...

J Dagger likes this.
  9. ritzyvintage

I'd say it was purposely applied decoration, which is also a good sign for quality, but is not a unique or an uncommon trait used upon Majolica items. It may even point towards the maker too?

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The color combination in the glazes strikes me as more modern, but I know nothing about majolica. It is pretty, though.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have run across a couple of these reproductions on the secondary market, and have a vague memory of seeing them in some magazine or catalog years ago, but can't offer anything more than the pieces below with dates of 1991 and 1997, and "Hand Painted U.S.A." labels...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ma...tel/254742463110?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
    majolica-MW-1.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ma...-MW/254758739818?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
    majolica-MW-2.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exceptiona...USA/383911237227?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
    majolica-MW-3.JPG

~Cheryl

12. ritzyvintage

SPOT ON Cheryl. Very well done You! :):):)

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Should say the reason I remember seeing them is that I used to work for an internationally recognized expert on majolica, and thought their quality a bit better than the other reproductions that seemed to be all over back then...

~Cheryl

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. gauntlettgems

Dang!! I tried image search and a few other things and could not find anything. TYVM! They are not a sloppy repro. I liked the colors. Ty so much

15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I have a large tang horse as well. Not quite 4’ but gotta be 2’ at least. His legs are in different states of missing and there, with other pieces missing too. He is supposed to be legitimately very old and shows signs of it but I’m not positive. I need to have a custom stand made for him. I have him just laying on his side and he deserves much better. He’s too big to easily fit in any of my storage options easily once bubble wrapped too.
    I have a Majolica planter with figural rams heads. That is the one piece of Majolica I’ll be really sad to see go. I love figural animals heads on any vessel.

Glad I’m not alone in having a hard time letting go of stuff I specifically buy to resell. It’s a real pain in the butt when you’re so sure buying it that you’ll sell it and then literally the next day you know you never will or at least it will be with you a long time before you’re ready to give it up.

16. gauntlettgems

Aww. I think mine is so pretty. We purchased him and were sold down the river about his age but thankfully we only paid a decorative value for him and not a bloody fortune. He lasted all of my moves over the last 20 years but bit it when we bought our house 2 years ago. Cest la vie (or however you spell it).
    My likes are all over the place. I don’t collect anything in particular so my house is full. Not cluttered because I do grow tired of some things and sell them

I totally understand your predicament. I say if it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad (Sheryl Crow)

J Dagger likes this.
  17. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Speaking of Majolica here is some that sold the other day. I had no idea what it was so I passed:

H5537-L242042123.jpg H5537-L242042126.jpg H5537-L242042128.jpg H5537-L242042146.jpg H5537-L242042123.jpg

Attached Files:

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  18. gauntlettgems

Wow!! I bet they fetched a pretty penny! I would’ve gone on them. Beautiful

19. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Gauntlett: care to take a guess how much?

20. gauntlettgems

Hmmm, $250?

Draft saved Draft deleted