Featured This map went for $8500 this past weekend, can you figure out the town?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by sunday silence, May 25, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

this map maybe of some use. Although it still does not show same street names, the area marked near the "quay" looks similar to that area on auctioned map. THe quay juts out into the river, and a little bit of the bank does in the auctioned map. These are both near that little creek on the north edge of town.

https://bostonraremaps.com/inventory/the-first-printed-map-of-albany-new-york/

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Anyone have a clue why it would have gone so high?

3. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

No idea. There are a number of colonial maps that have gone about $5000. Most of those cover regions or states. I think its unusual to see one of a city go this high. Especially when the map maker is not shown. I guess the people bidding on it knew something more about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted