Featured This may have been answered, but if so, I forgot the answer...sorry....but!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Aquitaine, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My niece asked a couple of weeks ago about getting a stain out of an old piece of lace... she put a plant on top of it....not expecting the bottom of the pot to leak....well, it did, and she called me....she had been soaking it in just soapy water for a few hours but it didn't do much..so she said! I said I'd ask my "All-Knowing-friends"!!! SO, here I am, again.....HELP????? AND Thank you in ADVANCE....I promise to write it down!!:happy::happy::happy::):):)

judy, antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on lace but oxy-clean does get stains out pretty well!

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Peroxide might take it out. Good for organic stains. Then wash with soap and water.
    I just used it last night on several old linens I found while sorting a box.
    Worked well. Took most of what ever out of a lace table cloth. Going to repeat again today. Everything else came out stain free.

Aquitaine, judy and antidiem like this.
  4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Undyed cotton, wool and linen items are surprisingly sturdy and can stand up to some treatments I would not do on silk , blends or colored fabrics. I have an array of weapons I use. I'd suggest always supporting a piece in a wet wash with a towel or plastic screening underneath, to diminish straining weakened threads. I start with the gentlest treatment first, then always lay the piece out in the bright sun on a clean towel for several hours before trying anything else. Sunlight is magic on undyed linens and cottons! Progressively, I first try an overall Oxy soak, then a washing soda soak, then spot treat with baking soda paste, cornstarch paste, lemon juice, H2O2, then a bleach pen as a last resort. Glycerin works well to bleed out ink. What I have had NO luck with is the old dark brown stain you see on some, I don't know what causes those, but all I've been able to do is fade them a bit.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!! Thank you all so much!!! Have copied & saved!!! Will send along to the niece!! Will also try on some of the hankies I have....very carefully!!:happy::happy:

judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  6. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

you could also maybe consult a dry cleaner

7. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I recently bought a lot of very vintage baby blankets, and as I found with some of my own kids baby items in storage many years, you can wash something and store it and then find a stain later. The organic stains as mentioned above. It took me a lot of patience but I was able to get out every stain by keeping each spot soaked for 1-3 days in a puddle of Oxy Clean mixed into a wet paste with Spray 'n Wash. Sometimes water sprinkled on top to keep it puddled. And then, as mentioned above, give a final wash/rinse and then hang out in sun to dry. From trash to treasure!

Draft saved Draft deleted