Featured this picture is antique?

Discussion in 'Art' started by SSlava, Jun 10, 2018.

1. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

And when was this picture written? Could this be the end of the 19th century? How do you feel about the level of writing? 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I can`t really help, it looks old and appears to be of a European Carp

3. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

4. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Thank you! Perhaps the 19th century?

Aquitaine, Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  5. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

I consulted with my art critic))

She said that the level of painting is not high, but the picture is old, 1830's.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like this one. Not great art, but it looks competent. What's that leaning against the dish? Looks like a fountain pen.

Joshua Brown, SSlava and judy like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like a knife to me.

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes its a knife, the catch was about to be gutted and grilled just after someone painted it.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A knife certainly makes a lot more sense. I'm sure it's obvious when looking at the actual painting.

It shows up better for me in those later images, which didn't load for me initially.

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I don't have any doubt it looks old.....the canvas looks nailed to the 'board'?....almost looks like cardboard, but must be wood.....a simple but nice, old painting.....1830's sounds very probable.....I too like it!!! And I agree on that being a knife!

Christmasjoy and SSlava like this.
  11. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Im not even sure it is painted on canvas. If it is that early, and I think mid-late 1800's might be close, they often used linen fabric. The fabric in your photos looks really rough and quite loosely woven with definitely aged. Canvas is usually tightly woven and more regular in weave spacing. Is it actually nailed onto the piece of board or is there a frame? A wonderful piece of 'country manor' history.

12. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Do you think the second half of the 19th century))?

By the way, about the expert, I misunderstood her a bit. She generally in the dating of paintings is not very much versed, mainly in icons.

She meant the beginning of the 20th century. She accidentally made a typo in the message.

But she is not sure about the correctness of this dating. She writes that she is probably mistaken.

I bought this painting for $ 35 approximately.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Judging by the photo, it is the canvas nailed on a board. When I have a picture, more attentively it will be considered.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

By the way I still heard that it is possible to date time of writing on nails?, frankly speaking, nails are similar on forged, but I can I am mistaken. It is necessary to consider them more attentively.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  15. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

5 (1).jpg Similar to the 19th century, some nails (at the top right nail bent that). But for such a photo it's hard to say anything, need a clearer photo of the nail.

16. jollyrancher

jollyrancher Active Member

I think it's mid 19th century. Probably German. Nice, saleable work.

17. SSlava

SSlava Well-Known Member

Thank you. We have many German trophy paintings. Therefore, Germany is quite likely.

Draft saved Draft deleted