This Satsuma, what do the markings around the rim mean? 25" high

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 14, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

On the foot/base is says 'left 3' so was originally part of a set. Around the rim it says 'Dai Nihon' (Great Japan) followed by 清木?田 then 製 (Made). The character I can't get is part of the name. Even with it missing though I can't find that character combination listed anywhere for Satsuma, the name is probably 'Seiki???da'.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

on the top it says....

" put lid on straight...so no fall off ! "

or something to that effect......................... :playful::playful::playful:..:wideyed::inpain:

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It would be so much fun to find a piece like that one day - I can imagine starting to translate and thinking wt...

komokwa and Boland like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Update, I think the character I couldn't get is just a misdrawn 井 as 井田 is a relatively common family name, so it would be Seiki Ida.

Doesn't help identifying though as there aren't any Satsuma artists listed under this name, so it's probably another minor/unknown one.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted