Featured Thomas Ryan Drawing Belfast Guard Post Roadblock 1969

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I was going through some things that I wanted to have reframed and I decided to post this picture. I bought it at an estate sale about 5 years ago. I went back on day 2 for 50% off, I ended up paying $250. I believe it is by Irish artist Thomas Ryan 1929-2021. I was able to find several examples of his work. The drawing is in very good condition and measures around 18" by 16". I do not think this subject matter is very common. It would be interesting if it was a working drawing for a painting, I didn't however see any paintings that looked like it. I thought people would enjoy seeing it, especially folks who were more closely affected by those times. My heritage is both Irish and English, however my ancestors came over from the 1600's through the 1800's.
    IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1977.JPG IMG_1978.JPG IMG_1979.JPG IMG_1980.JPG IMG_1981.JPG

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Nice find, no I haven’t seen that. I bet mine is from the same exhibit, they were drawn in the same month. What a powerful image. I recently watched the movie Belfast, it was very good. I was only 5 when these drawings were done, I didn’t know much about what happened.

LauraGarnet02 and Roaring20s like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It is an awesome image! Like it's from a war reporters' sketch book. Very nice.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted