Thoughts on 1962 Surreal/Nude Painting Signed Schwartz '62 - Is This a Known Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can certainly see how it could be Mercury/Hermes, the hint of what could be his petasos around the head (or is he just a blond?) He's not carrying the caduceus that indicates Mercury's role as a messenger, but since he is also the god of travelers, a walking staff would not be inappropriate. What the artist meant, consciously or subconsciously, I cannot say.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a depiction of Mercury with a staff so I'd think possible too.

Debora

Mercurybyhendrickgoltzius.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just a (very) minor thought... Mercury was in the minds of Americans when the painting was done because the Project Mercury space program was taking place from 1961-1963.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This one looks like a weirdly conceived caduceus to me, but I expect there are images out there of him with a full grown staff.

The rooster is also strongly associated with him.

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

LOL
    i actually kinda like this one LOL.

If I intended to sell it and had no further info on the artist (didn’t read the thread but will later) I’d call it a Mid Century Modern MCM 1962 Abstract Expressionist Figurative Painting. Yes work can be both. The figure is abstracted and the ground is definitely AbEx. I think it channels Bay Area Figurative like Manuel Neri.

Lucille.b and antidiem like this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you Lithographer and Debora (and everyone - even as it was driven off the tracks!) - I knew someone here could find the artist if it was at all possible!!

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted