Featured Thoughts on cool new painting I found - and with artist, please!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 20, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday at my local thrift. At first I thought it was a print on board but I could feel & see it was painted (see close up).
    This is the type of paintings I like, but I can't find the artist's name anywhere - do I like weekend artists?!

ART PAINTING ABSTRACT SELF PORTRAIT RUTH HAMEL 1BAAD.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT SELF PORTRAIT RUTH HAMEL 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT SELF PORTRAIT RUTH HAMEL 5AA.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT SELF PORTRAIT RUTH HAMEL 3AA.jpg
    ?!
    Thanks

Figtree3, kyratango, mirana and 4 others like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I really like this one ! but alas,I couldnt find one thing about this artist. She was better than an amateur,but maybe she got married and quit painting. We have to remind ourselves that not everything is on the internet,as hard as it is to believe.

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

So much of our art & history is still hardcopy & much still undocumented in any form.
    PS-Yes,much women's history ended art,business & science-wise,with marriage & the arrival of a child.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  5. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

A "Ruth" born in Germany in 1933...

And a self-portrait done at age 24 ish in 1957, eventually found in Florida...

There's a lost story there!

6. journeymagazine

That's why I leave home at 630am Mon - Fri so I can be at my friend's thrift store before 7am when they start unloading the trucks of the day before's donations & I get to see everything first - you never know what you are going to find!
    PS - I've tried to stay home, but as soon as I tell myself that we're going to sleep in today, my mind starts in with, 'What if a Picasso or Dali comes in? Or another Florida Highwaymen painting comes in?"
    And it doesn't stop until I get up, get dressed & get in my car - it's an addiction!!
    Thank you guys for your help!

7. journeymagazine

In Miami you'd be amazed at all the interesting stuff that comes into the thrift or I find at estate sales & garage sales!

Potteryplease likes this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Every one has to have an interest! The trick is not buying things that are less than another Highwaymen! :playful:

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Very true. My mother-in-law is an artist/sculptor. She had excellent training/education at an invitation only school, and did well in showings. But she married another artist, and her trajectory was subsumed by his art career. It's sad, because we have many pieces by both of them, and most people agree her work is better and more evocative than his. She and her work is unknown on the internet, but his works and bio can be easily found.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The very old-appearing label on the back could mean this was sold at some previous time in a shop, or perhaps was in a show at some point. I wonder what the "Poco" means... doesn't sound very German. A married surname, written in a different order than usual? Or a nickname? Hmmm....

11. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Poco seemingly sometimes used as a nickname , (meaning little ) of Spanish origin. Little Ruth Hamel.

Draft saved Draft deleted