Thoughts on Cuban artist Adelfa Cantelli painting + help w/title of a David Bumbeck print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 29, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found these 2 while roaming through a thrift store - the surreal(?) or impressionist(?) painting of a nude is by Cuban artist Adelfa Cantelli -who was a graphic designer, painter & comic artist. His biggest claim to fame - I think - is that he was a contributing artist on the 1960's comic/magazine Fantasia!
    But I haven't been able to find any paintings by him - has anyone heard of him? Would his painting be collectible?
    What would I call this painting?

I also found a limited edition print by well known printer/artist David Bumbeck - I think! The signature on the print I found looks like Bumbeck to me, but on the back of the frame the framer/gallery sticker has a phone number with 2 letters & 5 digits; which we stopped using in the early 1960's. David Bumbeck was born in 1940 - so it's possible, but I'm not sure.
    Is the print by David Bumbeck? Also can anyone make out the title? ( I see Evening Musicgal...maybe?)

Final photo is of a Picasso exhibition poster I also found; my friend/the manager charged me $25 each so I think worse case I can get my $75 back with the Picasso poster alone, right?

Thank you for any help!

ART PAINTING CUBAN CANTELLI 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING CUBAN CANTELLI 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING CUBAN CANTELLI 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING CUBAN CANTELLI 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING CUBAN CANTELLI 6AA.JPG ART PRINT BUMBECK DAVE 1AA.JPG ART PRINT BUMBECK DAVE 1AAA.JPG ART PRINT BUMBECK DAVE 3AA.JPG ART PRINT BUMBECK DAVE 4AA.JPG ART PRINT BUMBECK DAVE 5AA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Back label - sorry photo program giving problems resizing

ART PRINT BUMBECK DAVE 7AA RESIZED aa.JPG

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and charlie cheswick like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Evening Madrigal.
    35BFACF1-3015-4A0A-BB42-BEA1F5380870.jpeg

Figtree3 and charlie cheswick like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Cantelli appears to have been working in Miami between 1960 and 1979. Mostly known for involvement with the Cuban theater. Oh, and he's a she. Adelfa is a girl's name (means oleander.) Here she is listed in the book a 1970 volume of Boletín de artes visuales (or Visual Arts Bulletin in English.) Describes her as a "painter" and refers to an exhibit of her work at the Pan American Bank of Miami between March 15 and 26 of that year. The exhibit consisted of 18 figurative works of mostly Cuban scenes and landscapes. Wonder if yours was one of them.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 3.17.55 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Houseful and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. Houseful

? Picasso poster pic.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And I imagine her work would be collectible. A female Cuban artist who was likely part of the early exile. The University of Miami Cuban Heritage Collection has something of hers. Vaguely described as a "reproduction."

Debora

8. journeymagazine

I am on phone now but when I reboot computer I'm hoping I can post Picasso exhibition poster.
    Debora & houseful you never cease to amaze!
    I humbly thank you!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bumbeck works with that medium, works with that subject and that does appear to be his signature. Here's a work of his entitled 'Madrigale.' (Yours has the similar title of 'Evening Madrigal.')

https://www.amazon.com/Madrigale/dp/B00IO1K01G

Debora

David-Bumbeck-American-1940-Etching-Entitled-pic-2o-720-10.10-7e3ec7e3-f.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 4.09.02 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

What an asset you are to this forum deb !!!

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How kind, Charlie. Thank you.

Debora

13. Houseful

I always like seeing the items you find Journey.

14. journeymagazine

Thanks Houseful - here's the Picasso poster.
    Again and always Debora, I am indebted to you - I wish my computer was half as good!

ART POSTER PICASSO GALERIE FELIX VERCEL 1972 1AA.JPG ART POSTER PICASSO GALERIE FELIX VERCEL 1972 2AA.JPG ART POSTER PICASSO GALERIE FELIX VERCEL 1972 3AA.JPG ART POSTER PICASSO GALERIE FELIX VERCEL 1972 8AA.JPG

15. Houseful

16. Houseful

You did ok for $25
    B3213B62-0DDB-4A03-8CBC-B1EE70494A76.jpeg

17. journeymagazine

One of my regular customers who collects nude paintings offered me $250 for it?

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not a clue as to value. But here is a list of organizations that promote/display Cuban art in Miami. Dunno if any have an acquisition budget:

The American Museum of the Cuban Diaspora, the Cuban Legacy Gallery, and MDC Special Collections at Miami Dade College.

Debora

19. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora - MD college north campus is only a few minutes from my house; I'll check with them & see what they say

20. journeymagazine

Thanks - but many times I wouldn't know what I had if not for you and Debora!

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted