Featured Thoughts on date of this palm stand?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Gatoblanconz, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

What are people's guess on the age?
    At the youngest I feel it has to be 1920s?
    Photos of unstained part is the bottom.

Also I have not forgotten that I will take the dust cover off the bottom of that pink gilt gesso settee so that people can help determine the age.
    c1_20240406_07221234.jpeg c1_20240406_07221250.jpeg c1_20240406_07254361.jpeg c1_20240406_07254376.jpeg
    c1_20240406_07503522.jpeg c1_20240406_07503540.jpeg c1_20240406_07503556.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

My guess would be 1880s, with the pine board newer, of course. Beautiful!

3. Gatoblanconz

It has not been restored or altered. I cannot see any evidence of that.
    The underside of the bottom you see there is all part of the original.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I looked at it more and the lack of weathering may be explained be the underside of the board being relatively sheltered. So yes, it is probably original after all. I apologize if I offended you.

komokwa, Marote and Gatoblanconz like this.
  5. Gatoblanconz

I never get offended about antiques. It's part of learning more for me. I uploaded some more photos. All parts consistently nicked except the central column which is shielded.

Marote likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I CRAVE that couch ! fantastic ! No help on the pedestal,it looks to have been painted ? Also,how tall is it?

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  7. Gatoblanconz

Maybe it's been painted I thought it was just dark timber stain certainly when I picked it up and carried it in the rain I got brown timber stain on my jersey.
    I think it's just like ebonised so to speak as in a black stain

8. Gatoblanconz

The pedestal is quite big it's about 1100 high Higher than the back of that settee.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I just don't see that base as being original to this. However, if modified, it was done long ago.

Ghopper1924 and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. Gatoblanconz

The base is the same width and length dimensions as the top. With the same type of edging profile. And both have the same degree of wear and scarring (maybe more on the base because it gets kicked more). The column gets shielded by the top and the bottom from being hit.
    The stain color is exactly the same across the piece.
    I feel it's one piece in terms of age. If the base looks newer underneath then I would more likely conclude that the whole piece is newer (although still old) just based on an older style. Having said that the timber on the inside of the base has never been exposed.

What are your thoughts about why the base is not original? Is it because a square base is not traditional? It's quite a large tall palm stand and very solid. It can hold something very heavy with stability. It feels like it should be in a large room or hotel lobby or something.

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

If I may,why do you keep calling it a palm stand ? I think everyone sees the base as newer because of the color of the wood. Even if flush to the floor,wood itself still ages . To me,with the screws all over and something about the proportions of it make me think more 20th century . Just my opinion.

Gatoblanconz and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. Gatoblanconz

I don't really know what it is I thought it was a palm stand what is it called - a pedestal?
    My initial thoughts were 20C as well

Here is a photo of the base without the flash on
    c1_20240406_07254361.jpeg

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I've never heard of the term palm stand.
    I'd simply call it a plant stand.
    (Googling indicates the two terms are interchangeable.)
    Nice find!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    Bakersgma and Gatoblanconz like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Unusual to have a square, flush to the floor, base such as this. Also had thoughts that the top may not be original as well. The color of the pine really did not play into my thoughts, as it is well protected. It also occured to me that this was made up by someone using a porch post or similar. However, the way the pillar flares wide, both top and bottom makes this less likely. The fact that this is pine is also a bit unusual for an old furniture piece such as this.

Gatoblanconz and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted