Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Art
>
Thoughts on Older Academy Boards?
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="techbiker, post: 4414595, member: 60629"]For the past month I've been searching for period-correct paintings for my 1913-era home. Going in, I thought I would be looking mostly at paintings on canvas. Surprisingly, almost everything I've seen at auction from the period has been on an "academy board" or "millboard". Note I've focused on less expensive paintings that were probably less valuable at the turn of last century. This source argues Academy Boards were popular for quicker/informal works but were eventually superseded due to issues with warpage: <a href="https://cool.culturalheritage.org/jaic/articles/jaic38-01-003.html" target="_blank" class="externalLink ProxyLink" data-proxy-href="https://cool.culturalheritage.org/jaic/articles/jaic38-01-003.html" rel="nofollow">JAIC 1999, Volume 38, Number 1, Article 3 (pp. 21 to 32) (culturalheritage.org)</a></p><p><br /></p><p>Surprisingly, many of the Academy Board paintings I've seen have held up quite well compared with canvases from the period. Although some are fairly warped, they don't seem to develop as much craquelure and are more resistant to punctures and tears. I bought one from the 1870s that's in nearly perfect condition after spending days or weeks in a ditch in upstate New York.</p><p><br /></p><p>What has your experience with academy boards been like? Is this just some sort of survivorship bias? Aside from warpage, are Academy Boards more durable in the long run?[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="techbiker, post: 4414595, member: 60629"]For the past month I've been searching for period-correct paintings for my 1913-era home. Going in, I thought I would be looking mostly at paintings on canvas. Surprisingly, almost everything I've seen at auction from the period has been on an "academy board" or "millboard". Note I've focused on less expensive paintings that were probably less valuable at the turn of last century. This source argues Academy Boards were popular for quicker/informal works but were eventually superseded due to issues with warpage: [URL='https://cool.culturalheritage.org/jaic/articles/jaic38-01-003.html']JAIC 1999, Volume 38, Number 1, Article 3 (pp. 21 to 32) (culturalheritage.org)[/URL] Surprisingly, many of the Academy Board paintings I've seen have held up quite well compared with canvases from the period. Although some are fairly warped, they don't seem to develop as much craquelure and are more resistant to punctures and tears. I bought one from the 1870s that's in nearly perfect condition after spending days or weeks in a ditch in upstate New York. What has your experience with academy boards been like? Is this just some sort of survivorship bias? Aside from warpage, are Academy Boards more durable in the long run?[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Art
>
Thoughts on Older Academy Boards?
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...