Featured Thoughts on painting-please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

62B8C94D-DF6E-419D-8BCB-E13DBBBB8B58.jpeg 40A5459F-002B-44A1-A9B7-61B0A0572294.jpeg 9B53A8EE-90AF-465F-B223-A126CCAF7F86.jpeg 6CC48DB3-811B-4507-99F4-C4B321440F06.jpeg Hi all,this is a recent find. It’s large 116x86cm. Unfortunately there’s some water damage (but luckily it’s just the backing) Not very old. Looks to be a misty/foggy lake scene with 2 hills in the background. What do you think about the skill level of the artist? Or of the painting? Any comments appreciated and keep well. Thank you

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly hangable. I see "Susan du Toit." There's a South African artist named Suzanne du Toit.

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 6.22.06 AM.png

Figtree3, Potteryplease and Boland like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appreciate the comment Debora. I agree I also see Susan du Toit. I looked at Susanne du Toit but didn’t think it was the same artist (but also not sure) Thinking to mail her and just ask.

Figtree3 and silverbell like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The plate mark suggests it may be an intaglio print, maybe a type of etching called aquatint.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd ask.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In what part of the world was the painting found?

Debora

Boland likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Boland, I did change what I entered for a spelling to closer in line with this:

b-NEW SIGNAT-gigapixel-very_compressed-scale-2_50x.jpg
    "Susan du Teitz" and came up with the below site, but it shows as being OFFLINE...
    so I don't know if you're any closer........

http://susantietz.com/home.html

And if it's the same, this one seems to work....and at least at the bottom there's a place to contact......signature does look different though, but maybe yours is an earlier one too!

https://www.susantietzart.com/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Boland likes this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I just a painting by how much time i spend looking it over. I found myself studying this one. It looks like when we would get ready to take our plane out but had to wait until the fog lifted. We we watch over the ocean as the sunlight would peek through. I t is a rather soothing picture. I would say some degree of talent.

Boland likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Near Cape Town

11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the comments and the links provided. I really appreciate your efforts regarding the signature and finding the artist :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the painting really ‘speaks’ to you and that’s a cool thing.Glad you like it. I can just imagine sitting and waiting for the fog to clear and watching the sunrise.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Found in Cape Town? I would definitely contact Suzanne de Toit then.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That does look a bit like Table Mountain or a Western Cape seascape.

Debora

15. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes I will do so. Thanks

16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

@Debora

Hi Debora,just wanted to let you know that I did mail the artist Susan(ne) du Toit (very friendly lady) She is now
    based in London. She confirmed that this is one of her paintings. She painted it while living in Grahamstown just after she returned from Europe in the 80’s.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, isn't that wonderful?! What a lovely thing to own. (And bet the artist was surprised to have it show up again after all these years.)

Debora

laura9797 and Boland like this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,I think she was. It’s very different from her current paintings (I think) She ask for photos for her records. She said she used both Susan and Susanne when signing. Nice lady!

Potteryplease, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted