Featured Thoughts on the little guy? Estate sale with lots of Nautical stuff.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jun 6, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Picked up a great old gimbal lamp, copper chart tube, block and tackle, couple good modern knives and tossed this in my box on the last go around. No clue on age! There was some pretty old nautical stuff at the house so I wouldn’t be surprised if this was old. The nail and base it was on didn’t look original. This appears to have some age. The dorsal fin cut is super straight and odd looking relative to the rest of the piece. It’s split in two pieces along the paint color line. I can’t tell if it was constructed this way or if it fell and split and was glued back together. I’m inclined to think the latter as there was a bit of what looked like glue on top of the whale and it didn’t look nearly as old as the wood itself. Any folk art collectors want to take a stab? It’s not signed anywhere that I can find. It’s just over a foot long.

[​IMG]

kyratango, cxgirl, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

He is a charmer, but better photos would help... :)

judy, komokwa, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can't say for sure.........but i've seen more than one of these......and I still can't say for sure.....

upload_2019-6-6_20-40-11.jpeg Northwest Coast Killer Whale Rattle....
    worthpoint....

upload_2019-6-6_20-42-46.jpeg Makah Orca Rattle

4. J Dagger

Holy crap! You’re amazing! I had no idea what this was. I thought it was just some amalgamation of whale parts from someone’s imagination. Based on the colors it should have dawned on me that it was an orca I guess. Turns out it’s described as a wolf/frog riding on a killer whale. Mine does not rattle like these ones unfortunately. As much as I like New England’s history with the sea and things relating to it I like Native American stuff a million times more. I was close to posting it for sale too, I would have kicked myself really hard if I had sold it and then realized. I hope I can find out a little more about it. I wonder if it was a rattle and then broke and lost its stones. The glue doesn’t seem original. I’ll take a couple photos of the other showing that part. Thanks again!

judy, komokwa, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

769FA0CE-0B0C-4295-951A-11228A12B690.jpeg Yours looks like this one, with a hitchhiker. :)

kyratango, komokwa, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  6. i need help

A018BDC4-BED3-4FA2-9A01-38AAD7BCBEE1.jpeg
    Well Done Komo! Best Answer! :)

7. J Dagger

You are correct, the lighting stinks in those. It still stinks in these but here’s different stinkers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. J Dagger

Definitely close! I like yours more. More wolf. Mines a little more froggy

9. J Dagger

Where did you find this one btw?

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

I don’t know who the Hitchhiker is, I thought a seal or sea lion.

kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  11. i need help

J Dagger likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

nice find J Dagger:)

13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

icollector

MAKAH CARVED RATTLE DEPICTING A WHALE AND WOLF 12"L X 4.5" H AND SMALL KWAKIUTL TOTEM

SOLD 80.00 CAD to floor
    This item SOLD
    at 2015 Oct 04
    [​IMG]

J Dagger, komokwa and i need help like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yours is a nice enuf wolf...
    Oh....& thanks..but I'm not amazing......... this whole website is !!
    We all have our moments !!! :happy::happy::happy:

15. J Dagger

thanks!

judy likes this.
  16. J Dagger

Nah you’re amazing! I liked this carving when I bought it but literally had no idea it related to one of my two main areas of collecting. Luckily I got it basically tossed into a deal for free because I would have paid much more for it knowing what I now know, if I had to.

komokwa, judy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted