Featured Thoughts on this Chinese carving

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Mar 3, 2022.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I don't want to make any decisions on this until some others have had a chance to look at it.
    It measures 5" tall, not including the wood base. 2 1/2" wide and about 1/2" thick. nicely carved and better than most but still on the fence about material.
    Mikey
    weee 655.jpg weee 648.jpg weee 649.jpg weee 650.jpg weee 660.jpg weee 661.jpg weee 654.jpg weee 657.jpg

Firemandk, judy, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Really nice carving! Elephant tooth, it seems to me........

3. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you Kyra. You think it is?
    Tooth or tusk .
    Mikey

judy likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If it can be removed from the wooden base (and there is not glue obscuring it), the most diagnostic features should be visible on the bottom edge. If it is elephant ivory, as Kyra suggests, Schreger lines should be visible there. The detailed carving will make it difficult to find and see the distinctive lines on other surfaces. We have posted a series of sites that can help identify elephant ivory and similar materials here:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/ivory-references.69023/

5. 916Bulldogs123

I am not able to remove it from the base. It is peg mounted and it would probably do some damage trying. Interesting though there is a gap between. The pegs keep it about 1/16" above the base.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Unless it's just your lighting, the front looks to be very shiny, whereas, the back..... not so much.....what that means....IF ANYTHING, I don't know....just an observation!!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

yes it was the lighting. Weather Ivory or Resin it still was carved very elaborately with multiple scenes. The resin examples I am finding look more moulded than carved?

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Not resin for sure! I said elephant tooth not to say the cursed I. word :joyful:
    It has the particular "glow" of it to me and the lack of blood vessels black points:cyclops:

2manybooks and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks @kyratango
    Did the black light test thanks to @2manybooks
    Resin or plastic would glow blue, this is all white.

kyratango and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted