Featured Thoughts re: Carrol Beckwith Painting please

Discussion in 'Art' started by GuyWho, May 9, 2024.

1. GuyWho

GuyWho New Member

The painting below (Mahogany panel. Width, 10 inches; height, 14 inches) has been in the family for many years and we are ready to sell it. We are getting a fairly wide range of estimates from these photos and info ($2-4k to $8-10k).

This link shows a fair number of his work sold (prices for about half when click on picture)
    https://www.invaluable.com/artist/beckwith-james-carroll-60obd7ipkm/sold-at-auction-prices/

We are thinking about using Doyle as their fee seems fairly modest at 15% plus something like 1.5% to insure it but they had the lowest estimate and suggest a reserve of $1,500.

I'm curious if any thoughts, suggestions, advice or whatever you all might want to share with an art auction novice trying to do the best for the family.

Thanks in advance!

(BTW, does mahogany panel make a painting like this more valuable than one on canvas? Curious if that is partly what drives varying value.)

1910 Sale catalogue link and info in it about this piece:
    https://archive.org/details/b1467652
    Oil Paintings, Studies, Sketches and Studio Effects of Carroll Beckwith
    by American Art Association
    Publication date 1910
    Usage Public Domain Mark 1.0
    Topics Auction catalogs
    Collection metmuseumlibraries; americana
    Language English
    Place of sale: New York; Date of sale: Apr. 14-15, 1910;
    No. 69
    AT THE PIANO
    c~o
    Mahogany panel.
    A young lady in strawberry-colored satin gown is seated at an open piano, with
    her fingers on the keys. The background is a tapestry representing a pastoral scene.
    Width, 10 inches; height, 14 inches.

front.jpg back.jpg

Any Jewelry, Potteryplease and Marote like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

canvas is usually more sought after....than painting on board.....but it's the artist and subject that rule the day , cost wise .
    Size and condition are also determining factors..

Boland, mirana, GuyWho and 2 others like this.
  3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

What commission rate is being offered by the houses with higher estimates? A good auction house earns their commissions through better cataloging, better photography, better advertising, etc. Do they list their auctions on sites like Liveauctioneers or Invaluable opening the auction up to a global audience? Etc., etc., etc.

4. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20240509-180602.png

GuyWho and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Doyle is really being conservative with their estimate of $1500! Even at 15%, I think I would pass. On April 5 of this year, they sold a portrait by Beckwith for $4000 so I would think their estimate would be $3000 - $5000? https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/149506962_james-carroll-beckwith

John Moran, Bonhams Skinner have shown nice auction results for Beckwith. I would reach out to them to get an estimate.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The estimated prices for Beckwith paintings seem to vary widely, depending upon subject. But sincere question... does the estimate really matter? The market determines value, not the estimate. Right? I'd think the important variable is how the auction house promotes and sells the painting.

Debora

verybrad, johnnycb09 and GuyWho like this.
  7. GuyWho

GuyWho New Member

Agree market determines - Any advice in learning/comparing how how houses promote/sell?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry. That's an area in which I have no experience.

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Obviously, Sotheby's and Christie's are global powerhouses that are well known to dealers and collectors alike but smaller players have to work harder to attract an audience. As mentioned above, does the auction house list their sales on either/both Liveauctioneers or Invaluable? If so, you piece can be found by anyone across the globe searching a particular artist. A well written item description which gives copious information about the artist and their background can also get additional hits by people searching for a particular genre (i.e. Barbizon, fauve, impressionist, English, Cubist, etc., etc.).

All this to say, the sellers commission is only one factor in the decision and if that is your sole concern, the savings might cost you dearly.

Potteryplease, laura9797 and GuyWho like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted