Thread wrapped wire. What was this used for? When?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by OldWhitby, Apr 27, 2021.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

Maybe this should be in the metal forum but this was in my mother's sewing stuff. She did a lot of sewing all her life but I don't recall anything where she might have used it, Image192.jpg Image195.jpg and judging by the spool it was likely her mother's or even her grandmother's. The wire is steel and the spool is 2.75" high. I think my brother used a little bit of it as electrical wire when he made a crystal radio back in the 50s.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Possibly used in crafting, floral arranging, etc.

[​IMG]

Could also have been some sort of conduit? Or would that have used copper wire?

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think some of my petticoats in the early 60s used to have wire in the hems, maybe that is what it was used for.
    Yes.:)

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  4. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

It is also used in millinery work... the wires are cut and connected to other wires to construct the framework for certain hats... especially bridal crowns...

Leslie

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted