Three Adrian Pearsall Chairs - now what?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bookahtoo, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got these 3 chairs yesterday - all three for $200. The chair with the wood arms was sitting on the front porch getting snowed on when I first saw it. When DH and DS#2 went to pick them up last night, the young men said "oh, we would have given these away". Ha, ha - well I'll remember that next time boys. All three need new foam and to be reupholstered. The round chair really doesn't look that bad - I was trying to clean it up and it is still wet.

I can't afford to fix them up for resale, but I know who can. I have some customers whose work/studio/sales place is in W. Concord, MA. They do a really nice job of restoring and/or "reimagining" good vintage furniture. They are able to sell stuff for high retail. They buy a fair amount of stuff from me. It's cheap for them, I make a profit, and I like them. I know they would have to pay someone else to restore these.

So - my questions: Did I pay too much? How much should I ask my dealer friends for these chairs? I don't have to make a lot of money - I'm just kind of thrilled I was able to rescue them and get them on their way to a new life. I'm trying to leave these the hell alone, but should I? Should I put some Restore-a-finish on that wooden arm chair before I take pictures for them?

DSCF0736.JPG

DSCF0737.JPG

DSCF0742.JPG

DSCF0743.JPG

DSCF0748.JPG

DSCF0749.JPG

Please forgive the horrible photos, and thanks for any help and advice!

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I like these but in my neck of the woods, $200.00 would have been too much to pay. Who knows what the going rate is in yours. I would spruce up the finish on the one chair in hopes of making some profit. I would try to get the one dry before selling. A wet vac and sun drying might be your best bet but that last part might be tough right now. You might need to get the cover off the foam to avoid a mold situation.

3. Bookahtoo

Thanks Brad. I will do that to the wood right now. The other chair is just wet on the surface - not soaked through. No possibility of sun drying anytime soon around here!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

You know, I really wasn't taking much in to account that these are Adrian Pearsall since we don't have much of this here nor do we have calling for it. I just took a look at what some of it is selling for so seem to be selling it a bit short. I also found that a rocking double lounge chair I have is his ...... who knew?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

You mean you have one that you're using?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. verybrad

I bought it to re-sell but then used it when I was staying at my sister's house since she did not have a lot of furniture in her great room. It has been reupholstered with cloth covered buttons and one of the cats seems to have stolen one of the button caps never to be found again (or just as likely, my sister sucked it up with the vacuum). The cats also clawed the upholstery a bit and one of them puked on it ...... I know, too much information.

Long story short, I still have it but it probably needs to be reupholstered now. It is standing on end in storage right now. I see where some have brought good money at auction so I guess I am glad I still have it and now know what it is.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If I had a nickel for every time my cat blew chunks on one of my rugs......
    I'd have a lot of nickels !

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing!
    I doubt very much that I have a piece of furniture that hasn't been hurled on by one cat or another. :cat:

9. Bookahtoo

Well I brought one up into a spare bedroom so I could close the door and I stood the two others on end in the living room - so the two kittens would stay off. They were way too interested in them.

Are these photos better?

DSCF0753.JPG

DSCF0760.JPG

DSCF0764.JPG

DSCF0767.JPG

DSCF0771.JPG

DSCF0778.JPG

DSCF0780.JPG

DSCF0781.JPG

DSCF0783.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  10. verybrad

Absolutely! I didn't realize that the one was big double lounge from the first pics. How big is the round one? The wood looks much better on the chair. I take everything back that I said in my first post. You should do fine with these. I think you can more than make your money back on the lounge alone.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Bookahtoo

The round one is about 37" across. It should have a cute crescent moon shaped ottoman with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it were in that house somewhere.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. komokwa

I see a lot of lounging around in your future !!! :rolleyes:

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Bookahtoo

OOOpppps! I emailed the potential customers and attached one photo of each chair. I figured they wouldn't get back to me for a couple of days. Well, one of them already emailed back and said she is interested in all three chairs and how much do I want for them? Help!

KingofThings likes this.
  14. verybrad

Lots of values on liveauctioneers for Pearsall. Those big lounge chairs seem to be sought after. That said, maybe triple your cost for a fast sale? Could always go a bit higher and give some room for negotiation.

Dennny, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

Right....how much you want for them is always a sight different than.....
    how much you'll TAKE for them !

KingofThings likes this.
  16. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I was thinking throw out a grand and see if they bite. I think that might even leave a little meat on the bone. Somewhere between six hundred and a thousand sounds pretty fair to me. There's more there but "bird in hand." I think these would really respond to a good upholstery cleaning by someone who won't wreck 'em. They appear all original.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    Take a heat stripper on low to it, it should dry pretty fast. I would use a hair dryer but it would take a lot longer.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Bookahtoo

Thanks guys.
    Don - they really need new foam. They are hard as rocks and crunchy! :woot:
    I was thinking 600-800 also.
    I'll try that greg - they wouldn't be coming for a couple of days probably.
    I think I'll wait until the morning to email her back.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Bookahtoo

Yee hah! They're taking them for $800 - based on the three pictures I sent!

20. komokwa

So - my questions: Did I pay too much?

Well Book....it would seem NOT !!!!

Nice purchase !!!!
    Better SALE !!!!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted