Featured Three footed bowl - American Brilliant?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Neece, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Neece

Neece Active Member

I know nothing about cut glass but from what I read what distinguishes American Brilliant is clarity (which I don't know enough to determine), bell ring, and weight. The bowl is cut glass, rings like a bell, and weighs in at 3 pounds 14 oz (which seems heavy to me). I also found it online and the seller listed it as American Brilliant, but I have no way of knowing if they are knowledgeable or as clueless as I am. Is it American Brilliant? Additionally, and again not my wheelhouse, I believe this is the hobstar / fan pattern - Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance! IMG_20221128_094328500_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20221128_094346119_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20221128_094355284_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20221128_094408755_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20221128_094425829_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20221128_094429771_PORTRAIT.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

We can't judge whether or not it is comparatively heavy if we don't know the size.

Neece, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Neece

Neece Active Member

Excellent point! The bowl is 7 7/8" in diameter and 4 3/8" high

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

probably cut but not American Brilliant - ABC in most cases would have teeth and a much more elaborate cutting -

Neece and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have a few pieces that were my greatgrandmother's - possibly inherited from her mother. The cuts are REALLY sharp.

pearlsnblume, Neece and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

That's my test. Do I bleed. :)

pearlsnblume, Neece and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Neece

Neece Active Member

Thanks @Rclinftl I appreciate your input!

@Bakersgma and @KikoBlueEyes it definitely has a much more pronounced edge than a pressed glass piece I have, but I wouldn't call it sharp ... and I definitely did not draw blood :playful:

... so it's not looking like American Brilliant ...

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Neece likes this.
  10. Neece

Neece Active Member

Very informative! Thank you @KikoBlueEyes I put it in my bookmarks!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

12. Neece

Neece Active Member

Well, I'll be darned! It sure does! Heck of a find @TallCakes! There is no mark on it, but, from what I am reading with very quick research (I will dig deeper) Hawkes didn't use an etched mark until 1902/1903 Thanks so much! You get the prize ... if I had one :playful:

TallCakes and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Not to disagree, but I would have said eastern Europe, late 20th century. Note in the 2nd (or third) image the feet either are un-cut (flat) on the bottom, or not worn at all.

14. Neece

Neece Active Member

@Cherryhill I know it was at least handed down from my grandmother to my mother, I am just not certain if it was handed down to her or if she was the original owner. My mother is inclined to think it was my great-grandmother's, but unfortunately, we don't know that for sure. I was going to try to get a photo of the foot, but my new kitty thought it was a fun place to chase her tail ... :shame:

IMG_20221129_125820159_HDR.jpg

15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Neece, I apologize if I mis-spoke/wrote. When I was dealing, much earlier in this century the country was flooded with imitation cut glass. Some was exceedingly well pressed with a bit of gray cutting, some was truly cut crystal, and it was all new. Your piece was the inspiration for a fair percentage of the imports. Enjoy your inheritance.

Neece and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. Neece

Neece Active Member

Absolutely no need to apologize. I so appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts. You are all very knowledgeable! I learn so much here! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted