Featured Thrift Find - 1922 Leo Master Violin; Papers inside say Germany but label says Maryland?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Nov 16, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this violin yesterday at my local thrift store. It has a label inside that says 1922 & Baltimore Md., but it also had papers inside that said made in Germany, late 1800's - it looked like notes a buyer would make including 'scratches on top' with a diagram of the violin?
    I tried looking up Leo Master violin but only found a listing for a Leo Master violin bridge. I also found a link to Banjo Hangout that makes it look like Leo Master made a variety of stringed instruments and were part of Burdwise Musical Merchandise(?) that was written by the great granddaughter of Aaron Burdwise, the founder:
    Leo Master String Instruments Original Proprietor Was Mr. Aaron Burdwise - Discussion Forums - Banjo Hangout

And this link which said it was probably part of Oscar Schmidt Company: Leo Master - Discussion Forums - Banjo Hangout

Has anyone heard of Leo Master violins? Is it American or German made? And for a 100 year old violin it appears in beautiful condition (I love the tiger stripe wood on the back!) - does it have any value being that old & in that condition, but there doesn't seem to be another one anywhere??!

As always I appreciate any help - I didn't pay a lot for it ($50) but I would be grateful to know what I have - and I don't know anywhere else as informed as this forum is!!

Thank you!

MUSIC VIOLIN LEO MASTER 1AA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN LEO MASTER 2AA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN LEO MASTER 2AAA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN LEO MASTER 3AA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN LEO MASTER 3AAA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN LEO MASTER 3AAAA.jpg MUSIC VIOLIN LEO MASTER 7AA.jpg

Born2it, sabre123 and judy like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Any idea why they would cross out made in Baltimore MD. and put made in Germany?
    You would think if someone trying to sell it they'd just rewrite paper - like this they have to have a explanation or be able to show it was made in Germany and maybe inspected here?

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I would trust the date on the label as it was applied when it was built.

The reason that they just crossed off the date as opposed to recreating the document is probably because they didn't want to redraw the violin and all of the scratch locations!

If you just search, "leo master instruments" you will get more hits as the brand included guitars, banjos (as you found), mandolins, and ukuleles. Some people claim it was a brand that was marketed by different music stores, and some of the guitars were even in department stores.

Figtree3 and charlie cheswick like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Journey-You are one hard working guy !

5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Not a name I am familiar with; however, my guess would be that as with many instrument dealers of that time, the Leo Master label was used to sell instruments from many different makers. I'd think that at some past time the writer of the paper showed the violin to someone who claimed a bit of expertise, and was told that the instrument had not been made by Leo Master, but was a German violin sold under the Master brand name.
    As always, for best opinions, there is no substitute for taking a violin to an accredited violin shop, such as a member of the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers; see American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers - American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers (afvbm.org)

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Like framus/hofner guitars from that era, they were made in Germany, then imported to music shop retailers

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I've got a lovely 3/4 size framus archtop guitar from that era

Wouldn't be without it

8. journeymagazine

Found one here in Miami! Going to call him after weekend garage sale - may have him at all 6-7 I have!

Figtree3 and all_fakes like this.
  9. Muneaux

Muneaux New Member

Hi! I found a Leo Master Burdwise violin locally and while researching it, saw your post. There seems to be little information available about these instruments. The one I found does not have bridge, strings, etc., but the seller was told it is playable by a local music shop. Are you able to tell me what kind of tone your violin has? I'm looking for something with a warm deep tone...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  10. journeymagazine

I'm a picker not a musican - I cant tell if a note is warm or deep, or good or bad - I'm sorry!

sabre123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted