Featured Thrift find - 2 brass hanging Moroccan(?) lamps w/cloth covered wiring - old/antique?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 13, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 beautiful Moroccan (?) hanging lamps today that are in such great condition I thought they were new/made in China copies, except the wiring on them is cloth covered! And inside a cloth covering are 2 individual cloth covered wires (pos & neg?).
    Weren't cloth covered wiring used in the 1920's or so?
    Are these that old?
    Any information would be a great help - a big difference in value if old & original instead of new & copied!.
    Thank you!
    PS - I took most outside but I wasn't sure if it was too bright to see the details with the brass so shiny so I also took some inside - hope it helped.
    PSS - I also found a Grateful Dead scarf(!) and a beautiful banjo clock (key wind not battery, w/keys) that I will take more pics of (I left in my car til morning - I was more excited about the lamps & the Grateful Dead scarf!)
    And yesterday I found a beautiful old Gretsch accordion with mother of pearl keys and in it's original case. It looked like it was bought & put away - it's like new! (I wonder why people would donate this - or the Grateful Dead scarf?)
    What I didn't buy the last 2 days & it may be a record - is any art!!

FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 1BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 1AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 2AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 3AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 3BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 4AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 4DAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MOROCCAN HANGING 5AA.jpg

The Banjo clock

furniture clock BANJO CLOCK 1aAa.jpg
    CLOTHES SCARF GREATFUL DEAD 1AA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

And known more for their guitars but still made a beautiful accordion, here is the Gretsch La Tosca Fiesta I now own!

MUSIC ACCORDION GRETSCH 1DAA.jpg MUSIC ACCORDION GRETSCH 8DAA.jpg

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Whoa-love that Gretsch accordion,sweeet ! You remember George played a Gretsch guitar when he was in the Beatles ?
    PS-Do you play ?

4. journeymagazine

No I can't play - I just buy & sell!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The lamps could be Turkish. Maybe @Lark recognizes them.:)

6. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

You can still buy cloth covered wiring with two or three wires for lamps, even on Amazon. We’ve used it to replace old worn wiring in vintage lamps.

Google lens finds similar lamps sold as Moroccan but the devil is in the details as usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted