Thrift find - Haitian folk art painting by P. Toussaint - most interesting painting I've seen!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 6, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

At the thrift store today I knew it was going to be a good day when a clothing cart came out & right in front was a Led Zepplin embroidered tour jacket right in front ($7.99 - I grabbed it before the cart stopped rolling!)

But when I saw this painting it stopped me in my tracks - I first thought it was a mardi gras scene, but then I saw the people following the first row of people (the man breaking free of his chains while looking at the dandy or plantation owner is cool) are not in costume?

And now I'm wondering if it's a political statement? Especially because of the military/government guy - he has a 2 colored face; maybe the leader at the time was considered two faced or lied about something?

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it!

Any thoughts would be appreciated - I respect (am usually in awe of) the opinions that come from this forum & am hoping someone can tell me if it's just a nice folk art painting or something else.

Thanks!

ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 1A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 2A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 4AAA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 4BAA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 4CAA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 6AA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 7AAA.JPG ART PAINTING HAITIAN P TOUSSAINT 9AA.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

That's a nice painting!

But.......aren't you gonna show us the Led Zep
    Jacket???? pretty please????

judy likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

Here it is - by Bravada
    It's embroidered but ones I've found so far are leather or "pleather" (plastic leather) so I don't know if it's a knock off (for $7.99 I'll keep it for myself if a copy!)

CLOTHES JACKET LED ZEPPLIN TOUR JACKET 1A_AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET LED ZEPPLIN TOUR JACKET 1BAA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET LED ZEPPLIN TOUR JACKET 1aaA_AA.JPG

Figtree3, stracci and judy like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

journeymagazine likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The people in the painting could be voodoo characters. Thinking that because the guy in the top hat night be Baron Samedi.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

I'll look him up - I thought voodoo also but I guess I got stuck on the military man being two faced.
    Thank you moreotherstuff!

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

With the variety of masks and characters, I would guess the subject of the painting is carnival/mardi gras.

Here is another painting by P. Toussaint, currently on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/203171673532

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Saw that & a few others - but none like mine.
    Is mardi gras just in New Orleans or in Haiti too(their language Creole is from French language so maybe they celebrate it too?
    Or voodoo as you say - or something like Mexico's day of the dead festival (the red bull(?) with the tongue sticking out & the skeleton behind the military guy reminded me of that one)

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yes, Mardi Gras, also called carnival/carnivale, is celebrated in Haiti, with a tradition of elaborate costumes and masks.

10. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

St. Pierre Toussaint) – St. Pierre was born in 1923 and died in 1985. For most of his life he was a farmer and began painting only in 1972,

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

I have quite a few Haitian paintings, they are full of colour .

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted