Thrift find - limited edition Dali w/pencil signed edition #, but plate signature?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 16, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen or heard of this? I found a nicely framed, limited edition Dali that was unusual because it wasn't overtly surreal, but looks like Jerusalem's wailing wall with ghosts(at least the one in white at center?) at the thrift yesterday, but once I took it outside in the sunlight I took a closer look & saw that while the edition number is pencil signed, the Dali signature is signed in plate?

Is this for real or just a knock off? It has numbers on the back that look like they could be from an auction or catalog?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ART PRINT DALI WAILING WALL 1AAA.jpg ART PRINT DALI WAILING WALL 1AAZZ.jpg ART PRINT DALI WAILING WALL 1AAAZZZ.jpg ART PRINT DALI WAILING WALL 1BAAZZZ.jpg ART PRINT DALI WAILING WALL 4CAA.jpg ART PRINT DALI WAILING WALL 9AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI WAILING WALL 9CAA.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It's a reproduction of Dali's "The Wailing Wall".

Any Jewelry, evelyb30 and mirana like this.
  3. Mark London

BTW, the numbers on the back look more like framer's notes than anything related to auction houses.

Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Knew it was the Wailing Wall right off, but never knew Dali painted it. I like it.

5. journeymagazine

reproduction or reprint? Reprint sounds better!

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The amount of questionable Dali prints on the market is huge.

lloyd249, Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  7. evelyb30

The siggy is printed but the numbers are pencil. Maybe an authorized copy? I can see this selling about 30 years ago, to Jewish folks who wanted wall art.

8. Mark London

There are a number to be found online with varying edition sizes which leads one to believe that they're all barely worth the paper they are printed on. And Journey, while "reprint" sounds better, "reproduction" is more honest. You can always use "facsimile" which sounds classier!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Too bad my local Judaica store closed down; they'd have a line on someone who'd want one of those! (went to the family's estate sale as a matter of fact.)

10. journeymagazine

I like it too & with Miami's large Jewish population I'm sure it will sell - I was just curious about a printed signature & a hand numbered edition - I don't know if I've seen that before & wanted to check here about it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Mark London

When you see a printed signature and handwritten numbers, stay far far away.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted