Featured Thrift Find - Los Castillo "Metals Castillo" brass/married metals plate; Can I polish dull front?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 5, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this Los Castillo brass/mixed metal plate at my local thrift store yesterday & when I googled it I almost dropped it at the prices I saw!

One interesting thing - I saw many with different triangle shaped designs, but only 1 other with the striped(is that what I should call it - or geometrical shapes?) design like mine - but when I clicked on the link to see it on eBay, it took me to eBay's home page with a message that said "We've looked everywhere but can't find it"?

Can anyone tell me more about it? Is it as rare as it appears with the stripe design?

Some of the ones I looked at said brass and silver - what is mine made of?

The front is a lot duller than the back - I wanted to polish it but at least knew enough to ask here first before I did! Is it OK or should I leave it as is?

The plate measures 11.5" across

Thank you for any information.

PLATE METALS CASTILLO 1AA.JPG PLATE METALS CASTILLO 1AAA.JPG PLATE METALS CASTILLO 2AA.JPG PLATE METALS CASTILLO 8AA.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Fid, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thanks - funny so few with this type of design, right?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't know.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

aaroncab and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good size. Good condition. I wouldn't touch it. Let the buyer polish to his/her heart's content. I'd call motif "a geometric design inspired by Mesoamerican culture" but that's awkward and someone else may have a better way to say. I'd expect it to be copper with brass and silver detailing. But since it's unmarked for silver and the "silver" is untarnished... Perhaps it's aluminum. The words under circular mark are "Metales Castillo" or "Castillo Metals."

Debora

aaroncab, Fid and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. journeymagazine

Thank you. And I agreed I scored - $19.95 !

laura9797 likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

10. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

The silver color metal might be "alpaca silver" which is a combination of metals formed to create a faux silver metal. This metal is also known as German silver or nickel silver and is made up of nickel, copper, tin and zinc. Alpaca silver tone metal is often used to make inexpensive Mexican jewelry and usually marked as such.

11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like copper,brass and silver. There is no reason it would have a precious metal stamp on it.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think it would be silver too. The natural choice and wasn't a terribly expensive material in México at the time. I see internet sellers won't go out on a limb though.

Ah... this is helpful. "This dramatic piece is a fused mixed metal Castillo invented called Metales Casadas. It has sterling, and copper fused in the fish with a brass background."

https://www.rubylane.com/item/10615...o-Sailfish-Tray-Trophy-17?search=1&t=898fc9eb

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    don't touch, don't even look at it.:) agree with Pat about possibly Alpacca, but it could still be partly an old style silver-wash.
    very nice and a real vintage item.

aaroncab likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From El arte popular de México, a 1979 guide...

PLATERIA Y ORFERERIA La riqueza minera de la ciudad de Taxco ya era notable en los tiempos prehispánicos , figurando en ... En ella se elaboran las piezas a base de metales " casados " ( cobre , latón y plata ) ya sea en acabados mate o ...

Mixed metals or metales casados is defined as copper, brass and silver.

Debora

JayBee likes this.
  15. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

:rolleyes:
    IMHO: Here's where we get into semantics. Mixed metals are known as alloys that do not chemically combine. The metals may be in various proportions. Sterling silver, as you know, is an alloy of 92.5% silver and 7.5% another metal, which is usually copper. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc of various proportions depending on the use. The label states the item is of mixed metals....... For me, that would not rule out alpaca silver as it already has the alloy brass. There is a lot to read between the lines. Just saying.:rolleyes:

16. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Great piece - if you polish it I will definitely slap you.

Bakersgma likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Mixed metals is a translation of the Spanish technique developed by the Castillos which is "married metals." It doesn't refer to their composition but the way they are joined together.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  18. Hollyblue

The metals are just soldered together,hard to say when and who developed the technique.

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Los Castillo pioneered the 'married metals or metales casados technique, which was discontinued around 1970 as too labor intensive or costly to produce."

Debora

20. Hollyblue

The Japanese were using the technique in the 1800's,I don't remember the technique term at the moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted