Featured Thrift find old mandolin; Google image search says Antique Martin Mandolin - is it?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 25, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this old mandolin at a thrift store. But it didn't have any labels so I took a quick photo & did a Google image search - and it came back as a antique Martin mandolin!
    If it is my $39.95 purchase is worth $500 & up! So please, can someone tell me if this a Martin mandolin??
    Thank you for any info/thoughts!

MUSIC MANDOLIN 1AA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 4AA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 6AA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 7AA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 7DAA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 8AA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 8CAA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 8DAA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 8FAA.jpg

judy, Figtree3 and charlie cheswick like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's definitely not, but I would expect to see at least 1 Martin Mark on it, if not on the front of the headstock, but should be stamped on the back

Many mandolins have similar shapes, and their were copies of the Martin ones

@all_fakes

Is the one to ask

Show us the link that Google search brought up

Born2it, judy, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Born2it, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

I looked again and it looks like Martin's have a crease or angle on the front body but another one wad a Levin that also has same shape hard rest ? (The tortoise shell looking piece)
    I don't know how to copy paste link on my phone but Google search first photo & of photo of front of lower body both brought up Martin as most likely choice.
    I will check link that shows where serial numbers are.
    Thanks!

judy, Figtree3 and charlie cheswick like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on instruments, but this one doesn't look up to Martin quality standards.

judy, aaroncab and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I am not any expert on mandolins, but looks to me like you got a real good one, even if it's not a Martin. The fact it is so well loved tells me it's got a beautiful sound and not hard to play for a beginner. Best wishes to figure out the value, it's got some, despite the scratches on the veneer of the body. Please wait for Brad or someone with Mandolin experience to weigh in. :)

judy likes this.
  7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Does look like it may be a Style A Martin to me. Martin was not primarily a maker of mandolins, have made very few main models in their entire history. The only flat-top Martin mandos I'm familiar with have a distinct bend in the top, not obvious here; but if that is present, this is a Martin. The way to tell as mentioned above is to get a mirror and read the number which should be on the neck block. That will give you the year; this model remained unchanged during all years of production; and did not always have a logo on the headpiece - but I think did have a stamp impressed on the back of the headpiece, so possibly not a Martin...but I couldn't vouch for the policy during all production years. The serial number is the important thing; if there is no number, it is not a Martin; if there is a number, it should correspond to a date between 1914 and 1995.
    This is in rather rough shape, and a crucial detail, not visible in any photo, would be the height of the action. If it needs a neck reset, that is pretty much going to destroy any value.
    Also, the Martin mandolins and other similar mandolins do not have a particularly good sound, (though that is subjective, and some may like it) and are not in any demand among bluegrass players; but it is what it is, and once you have the year, it should be pretty easy online to determine the value, if it is a Martin.
    I'm not sure the shape of the pickguard is right for a Martin, actually....so I'm a bit on the fence regarding is it or isn't it....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    judy, Figtree3, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  8. all_fakes

Typical Martin mandolin, note the bend in the top.
    Martin.jpg

9. charlie cheswick

great info, thanks AF. i was on the fence as well, thats why i didnt want to say definitely no, cause i dont know much about martin mandolins

i think the action looks pretty significantly high from here

and gut feeling is the quality isnt there

judy likes this.
  10. charlie cheswick

still a good buy though, i would have bought it as well

judy likes this.
  11. antidiem

Thanks Steve, I typed "Brad" but I meant to type your name!
    It looks like it could have the "bend" in the front of the body you mentioned would signify it to be a Martin brand. @journeymagazine do you see that - is it a bend?

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

In the fifth photo it does appear to have a bend in the top of the body, near the bottom of the bridge.

judy and antidiem like this.
  13. antidiem

Thanks, I didn't want to be the only one who thinks she can see something with my bad eyesight! :) I think I can see it in the 6th photo too. In fact, there is ::something:: there in all of the pictures of the front.

@journeymagazine what say ye?

14. journeymagazine

I can't believe I never noticed it even while photographing it - it has the edge & angled bottom!!
    Thank you Figtree3 and antidiem - and everybody else; you all are incredible!
    So the big question - is this really a Martin Mandolin? (I looked in hole with a flashlight towards the neck but didn't see any serial number?)

MUSIC MANDOLIN 9AA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 9AA.jpg
    MUSIC MANDOLIN 9CAA.jpg MUSIC MANDOLIN 9GAA.jpg

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is there a store nearby that sells stringed instruments? I don't know whether the serial number would be easy to see or not. Maybe somebody in a shop would know.

judy likes this.
  16. all_fakes

You probably need a mirror to see where the serial number would be - the end block is the piece on the inside to which the neck is attached; and you likely can't see all of it just by looking through the sound-hole.
    The top does look like what one would expect on a Martin....but you need to have a serial number, or it isn't a Martin.
    Should look like "A-123456"
    or
    "A
    123456"

17. journeymagazine

I'll look for a store - I need one also for a Martin electric acoustic I got yesterday for $10 because bottom got wet & glue came apart. But when I close it the edges meet perfectly - in hoping it just needs to be reglued. If not it's got to be worth more than $10 for parts.

Born2it, judy, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  18. antidiem

Thanks, Steve :)

19. journeymagazine

Thank you - does have a piece of wood blocking me from seeing in neck; so I need to find some place someone knows how to check.

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Might be able to get a cheap little mirror on handle. Like what a dentist would use but maybe they make them for automotive or machinist purposes or something with a longer handle?

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted